Road to Glory

Staff writer to New York Times Journalist.

Journalism is in the process of becoming a pathway at Bullitt East High School.

A pathway, for students who don’t know, is a assortment of classes used to prepare you for life after high school in the career of your choice.

Journalism will not only give students another class to attend but now will open them to more opportunities in the future.  Students before had taken the course by sheer interest, and Bullitt East never had any process to help them take that interest in the journalism field and turn it into a future.

Students choose pathways based on friendships instead of what they are interested in pursuing in the future.  The journalism setting is friendly and completely open to any and all newcomers who walk through the door. As soon as you set foot into that classroom, an entire array of kindness is brought to you.  No one is left to stand alone.

Larry Steinmetz, Journalism teacher at BE, said, “The real life skills you get are different than any other class; you learn to work with a team, you learn to communicate with people in a way that you normally don’t, you’re forced into some situations that make you uncomfortable and you have to learn to deal with them,”

Journalism has had to go through quite a process to become a pathway. For example; the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE) sends out an application to the school requesting the pathway.  Then the school must partner up with nearby businesses to ensure that there are career opportunities in this field of education.

Wendy McCutcheon, College and Career coach, said, “Journalism is a huge occupation opportunity in the community for students and we want journalism to become a pathway,”

Journalism hasn’t just helped people with writing or given them an extra class to choose from, it has changed the lives of its staff members.  It makes you come out of your comfort zone to let others in.  It teaches you many skills needed for life after high school such as leadership, organization, and communication.  Journalism becoming a pathway has opened the door to a whole new world for some and that door will always be open to newcomers.

Haley Steinmetz, Livewire Editor, said: “Journalism has really forced me to come out of my shell, it’s taught me how to be a leader, and on top of that it has taught me all kinds of organizational skills,”

Many students have been influenced by the journalism staff to enroll in the course such as Garrett Simpson, who was persuaded by his sister Haley Simpson, and Matthew Childress who was persuaded by Grant Skaggs. What both of these individuals have in common is they were excited to hear about all the benefits of journalism and how it could help them later in life.

Simpson, freshman introduction to Journalism student, decided to take intro because “My sister influenced me because she always talked about how fun it was.”

Journalism is not only a class but has become an escape from normal education by letting students write what they feel and see around them. It gives them the opportunity to spread their ideas and be themselves.