Dress Expectations 16-17

Dress Expectations 16-17

Mr. Steinmetz, adviser

Our new dress expectations come with responsibility. Below you will find what our Site Based council developed with student input from the Livewire. Zach Combest and Haylie Jenkins presented on your behalf and started a great discussion on what we really want to accomplish with student dress.

What you will find is a list of expectations. It is a departure from our dress codes of the past. You will find that, in many areas, what we expect is a little more relaxed than what you’ve become used to. With that in mind, we need your common sense.

We want you in class. The dress code battle is exhausting for students and administrators. It’s up to you to take this and handle it responsibly. It will only take a few people pushing the boundary to make teachers and administration wonder if we should start to tighten it back down.

We don’t want that. You know what’s appropriate and what isn’t. If you aren’t sure, ask. If you still aren’t sure, don’t wear it. We’ve listened to your voice and heard what you’ve asked. All we are asking in return is that you meet us halfway. We are looking forward to a great year. A year where we are completely focused on what you are learning and not what you’re wearing.

– Mr. Steinmetz

Expectations for Student Dress

Student attire is primarily a matter of personal preference and family guidelines. However, students’ dress may not be disruptive, unsafe, obscene or promote alcohol, drug or gang involvement. Dress that is disruptive to the educational process is not permitted. Students whose style of dress is inappropriate for school will be subject to consequences.

The following list is to serve as a guide, and is not intended to be all-inclusive.

The following is NOT PERMITTED:

1. Clothing with alcohol, tobacco or drug promotions, sexual references, vulgar, sexist or, racist sayings, or gang insignia on shirts or belts.
  2. Bandanas, or hoods.
  3. Accessories which could be considered weapons, such as spiked wrist wear or ankle bands, spiked rings or lengthy chains of any size including chains that are attached to wallets.
  4. Strapless, off-the-shoulder or revealing garments/undergarments, bare midriff tops, halters, swimsuits, strapless tube-tops or bare back blouses.
  5. Cut-out/off tops or excessively baggy pants or pajamas.
  6. Pants with holes above mid thigh.
  7. Shorts and/or skirts of an inappropriate length and no pockets sticking out below shorts.
  8. Leggings, spandex or yoga pants that are see through.
  9. Leggings, spandex or yoga pants that are not covered with a shirt, shorts, skirt or dress of mid-thigh length.

dress code pictures

In order to maintain an appropriate educational atmosphere and ensure safety and security for students, the following inappropriate headgear is prohibited and will be confiscated: baseball caps, hair nets, do-rag, ski hats, beanies, headbands and other types of hats.

The Site Based Council and administration reserves the right, if necessary, to add other items to this list, especially any and all items which may affect the safety/security of the school. The Principal and Assistant Principals will have the final word on appropriate dress.

Students whose clothing is in violation of the Dress Expectations will be sent to an Assistant Principal; their parent or guardian will be contacted and requested to bring suitable clothing. Students may be detained in ISAP if they are in violation of the Dress Expectations. Students who continually violate these expectations may be subject to disciplinary procedures for defiance.

All school personnel have the right to confiscate articles that are forbidden in school under the above expectation. Confiscated items will be sent to the Office where they may be released to the student or parent/guardian. Students who refuse to surrender an article will be subject to disciplinary procedures for defiance.