Changing the Lane of the Rap Game

Photo submitted by Christian Ridener and Jonathan Mayes

Taylor Hollifield, Website Editor

Shyville and Jonny Lake are no longer nameless and are becoming famous.

Shyville and Jonny Lake, better known as juniors Christian Ridener and Jonathan Mayes, just released their first hit song, “Change the Lane.”

The two began rapping together due to their bond and love of music. “Change the Lane” was only the beginning, and they plan to continue with music in the future. Ridener and Mayes have several supporting them and they intend to further their experience in high school.

Ridener, Mayes and junior Brad Bowman have been best friends since elementary school, which is how Mayes and Ridener began rapping together. They work well together because of their bond and how they keep each other motivated. Mayes has loved music since he was little, and his father used to sing when he was a teenager. Around his eighth grade year he really began to get into music. While he has enjoyed music for years, he has recently just started writing. “Chris, my friend who raps with me, got me into writing earlier this year and that’s how it all started. We just wanted to make something out of what we liked,” said Mayes. Ridener has always wanted to pursue music, but he didn’t get into writing until his freshman year. He has mainly wanted to pursue this career because he wants the lifestyle.

It is very hard to make it in music, but the two have high hopes and plan to continue their experience in the music industry. While the both plan to make a career out of rapping, they have both considered going to college as a second route. Mayes is prepared to go to college, but Ridener is set on going into the music industry because it’s what he loves but he hasn’t opted out college just yet.

Each artist wrote their own part in their first hit, “Change the Lane.” Mayes wrote and sang about changing his life for the better and making it good. Ridener also wrote about his life. Ridener said, “I write about things that I deal with and not just random lyrics. I can’t really get into it all because there is so much that I wrote in that song. Nothing was a lie.” This song was only the beginning for them and they are now continuously working on new stuff for the future.

Producing the song took about ten hours all together, which is counting writing the lyrics, singing, adding beats, etc. It costs them a little over a thousand dollars to produce in a studio and buy the beats. They both put a lot of dedication into not only this song, but their music. To listen to “Change the Lane” go on Soundcloud and look up either JonnyLake or $hyville.

Ridener’s friends are very supportive of him and so is most of his family, but they would prefer if he took a different path in life. Mayes said, “My friends are very supportive as well as my family but of course there’s always gonna be some people who will be negative but we just ignore that.”

The boys hope their music will take them as far as touring and moving into a bigger city. They are planning to release some new songs in the future making their EP go big. “Me and Lake (Mayes) are working on some new stuff. I always think about the bigger picture and I am always positive about music. I am trying to get our music on iTunes, Spotify and everything else,” said Ridener.