Talent Show Recap

Sarah Allen, Staff Writer

To start off the 2016 talent show, Grace Wibbels (senior) and Chase Parker (senior) sang “House Of Gold”  by Twenty One Pilots. Wibbels led with main vocals while Parker played guitar. The performance gained a couple flashlights in the air from the other participants sitting on the stage.

grace

Next, Whitney Fox (freshman) changed the scenery from singing to dancing. Fox did a lyrical dance which kept the crowd loud. The crowd would cheer after every turn or moves they found impressive.

whitney

Jamar Douglas (senior) took a different approach, reciting a poem he wrote. Before reciting the poem, Douglass said a quick ‘thank you’ to Bullitt East for getting him to where he is today. All Of Me had the crowd quiet while he was talking, and left them loud with cheers when walking off.

jamar

Ian Kerr (senior) and Zakary Holden (senior)  performed the well loved “Self Control”  by Frank Ocean. With many people in the crowd excited to hear Kerr’s voice and to hear Holden playing the guitar for the first time, the two seemed to be a crowd favorite.

ian-kerr

Sebastian Kaufman (senior) and Donald Wilson (senior) gathered the most crowd participation with their cover of “1985” by Bowling for Soup. This classic had the crowd singing along to the entire tune. Both Kaufman and Wilson sang the song, their voices fitting to the original voices in Bowling For Soup’s version.

seb-n-don

Keeping with the theme of showing vocal ability, Lexa Daugherty (senior) sang Elton John’s “Your Song”. Daugherty showed her ability to hit high notes as well as low and seemed to please the crowd, who cheered and clapped during breaks in the song.

lexa

Marley Michel (junior) decided to remake the viral video ‘Pen Pineapple Apple Pen’ after giving Katy Kendrick the credit for the idea. The vocals and outfit were meant to copy the man in the original video. Many people got their phones out to capture the moment. Michel was a crowd favorite.

marley

Going back to the singers of the group, Adam Moore (senior), Joey Byrd, and Holden sang “December” by Neck Deep. The group remained the only group of three throughout the show. Holden played guitar for the second time for this group leaving Moore and Byrd to sing lead vocals. “We’ve been friends for a long time and we both love to sing,” said Moore.

adam-n-joey

Sarah Angelis (sophomore) had the crowd excited after flipping her upside down speed painting. Angelis painted a picture upside down in two minutes. It left many people amazed at her abilities. At the end of flipping the painting, Angelis proudly held up her artwork.

sarah-a

Kaleigh Foster (junior) and Brae Fredericks (senior) opted to do a duet covering the song “Lay Me Down” by Sam Smith. Both showed of their vocal range and got reactions from the crowd throughout. During every vocal break throughout the song, the crowd showed their appreciation by cheering. “I was really nervous at first but then I slowly got comfortable with it. I was honestly just focused on my breathing and singing the song without messing up,” said Fredericks.

k-n-brea

The band DOT ended the student participant section of the show. Eric Duke (senior), Troy Castle (senior), Ethan Stansberry (sophomore), and Parker sang “Somewhere Inside” written by them. “We looked at what songs we’ve recently wrote, and what songs would be suiting for the audience perspective, so we narrowed it down between two of our songs ‘Poison and ‘Somewhere Inside.’ We decided on ‘Somewhere Inside’ due to ‘Poison’ not being much of a crowd pleaser as it was more of a personal favorite.” said Castle. The band had the most diversity of the night having guitarists, vocalists, and a drummer. The band is currently selling T-shirts which people can order through their twitter account @thebanddot.

dot

After the student act, John Hunt and Jason Couch sang Sweet Child O’ Mine by Guns N’ Roses. This led to the end of the talent show. Despite students lining up at the door to get out of school as soon as possible, the two gave a dedicated performance. Along with this teacher performance, Larry Steinmetz presented his annual rap about the talent show and its contestants.

teachers