Running Charger Signs at Spalding University

On May 1, Senior Connor Green signs with Spalding University to run track. Along with him is his family and his track and field coach, Lenny Raley.

Ainsley Gordon, Copy Editor

This charger is running onto a different track.

Senior Connor Green has officially signed with Spalding University to run track.

Throughout the 2016-17 school year, Green has had a very successful track season. While Green was recruited by multiple colleges, he chose Spalding University because it offers a great track team as well as a good nursing program. Many people in Green’s life are very supportive of his choices.

Overall, Green has had a very good track season. The main events Green runs in are the boys 400 meter dash, boys 800 meter run, boys 200 meter dash and many different relays including the boys 4×400 meter relay. “Track season has been great so far! He is running the 400 and that is by far his best event! We have truly loved the experience especially for a sport that he just started participating in two years ago! We are so thankful Coach Raley saw his potential and encouraged him to give it a try,” said Kim Green, Connor’s mother.

Green has placed highly in a lot of those events, to which he has even placed first multiple times in the boys 400 meter dash. “He has done well. He is close to his best time from last year with a little over three weeks to go before State. Now that he has committed, hopefully, he will just relax and be the best he can be,” said Green’s coach, Lenny Raley.

Eight different colleges showed interest in Green to commit to their track team. Those include the University of Cumberlands, Transylvania University, Union College, Wittenberg University, Kentucky Wesleyan College, Campbellsville University, Georgetown University and Spalding University.

However, Green chose to commit to Spalding University because they offered a great nursing program and a rising track team. “They have a really good track program that’s stepping up big time and mainly because their nursing program is so good… Both of my aunts got nursing degrees from Spalding and they’re really high up in the nursing program now. Mainly just for looking into the future and getting a really good nursing degree would help a lot,” said Green.

Throughout his journey in track, Green has had the support of his friends, families and coaches. And many of those people in his life are just as excited as he is for this opportunity.

We are so excited for Connor. Spalding is a great nursing school. He was also awarded a significant academic scholarship which made Spalding the best choice… Several other schools that recruited him did not have a nursing program. This was the main reason he chose Spalding. Not only does he receive a great education, but he also gets to keep running,” said Kim Green.

Raley believes that this step in his running career will boost his capabilities on the track and in the classroom. “The next step from high school is always a whole different challenge. At the next level, one must be totally dedicated to a lifestyle that balances school and athletics. And typically one is learning how to adjust being away from home and learning how to study. Connor should be able to handle this all and grow as an individual through the process,” said Raley.

Not only does Raley believe that this will benefit Green, but he believes that this opportunity will enhance the track and field team. “It has a positive influence when other kids know that one of their teammates will be competing in college and it helps push those who might be thinking of going on to participate in college. So a plus all the way around,” said Raley.

Senior Claire Feldhaus, a friend and teammate of Green, is also excited for Green and the opportunities he will surpass. Feldhaus said, “I’m very happy for Connor and his decision to run at Spaulding. He’s an extremely talented runner and I’m excited to see how successful he can be… I think Connor will become an even better runner than he already is. He’ll be pushed by his coaches and his teammates to be his very best.”
On Monday, May 1, Green officially signed with Spalding University in the Bullitt East Library with his parents, his sister and Raley. He was also surrounded by some of his track and field teammates, including Feldhaus and senior Lauren Masden who signed with Bellarmine for track as well.