The Track and Field Team Finally Reached the Finish Line

Senior Claire Feldhaus runs for the Bullitt East track team. Feldaus would have competed in the girls 4×400 meter relay at state, but it was cancelled due to bad weather.

Ainsley Gordon, Copy Editor

Although the season is over, the track does not end here.

On Saturday, the track and field team finished their season, but some athletes are going to continue their track career after high school.

Over the weekend, the track and field team competed at the final meet of the year. The season has come to an end and the team is reminiscing on the best times of the year. While this is the end of the season, the team and coaches are excited for the upcoming year.

Bullitt East competed in seven events at state. Those include the boys 400 meter dash, girls 800 meter run, girls 4×200 meter relay, girls 4×400 meter relay, girls 4×800 meter relay, girls long jump and girls high jump. Many of the events placed well.

In the boys 400 meter dash, senior Connor Green placed ninth out of 24 with a time of 50.55. Also in the boys 400 meter dash, junior AJ Moss placed 11 out of 24 with a time of 50.75.

Senior Lauren Masden placed third out of 22 with a time of 2:17.20 in the girls 800 meter run. “It feels amazing to place third and to know how much I’ve improved throughout the season… I just couldn’t stop smiling,” said Masden. She broke the school record which she previously held with a time of 2:19.61.

Senior Brianna Poole, sophomore Emmy Ralph and freshmen Emily Ezell and Emily McDonald placed 12 out of 24 with a time of 1:49.10.

The girls 4×400 meter relay was cancelled because of bad weather. “We are waiting on the KHSAA to make a decision, (to let the race run or not) but I hope so! The 4×400 is one of the most fun races and I am heart broken that I didn’t get to race it one last time with my best friends,” said Masden, who would have ran in this race on Saturday if it was not cancelled.

“The highlight was easily the performance of Lauren Masden in the 800 meter run. She had the fifth fastest region time going into the race. The plan was to stay as close to the front as possible through one and one half laps and then see what happens. She was at the front of the pack at the end of lap one and stayed strong throughout the race… Her time is the 21 fastest AAA state meet time recorded. So definitely a race to be proud of. The girls 4×200 relay team … ran extremely well. They were ranked 16 and placed 12 in a season best time of 1:49.10. Connor Green and AJ Moss both ran personal bests in the 400 meters which was fantastic to see,” said Lenny Raley, coach of the track and field team.

This was the last race for many of the seniors. While they look back at the memories from the season, they find many amazing moments. “Everyday spent with the team was so much fun! The spring break trip was awesome! And breaking the school record in the 4×400 was amazing because nobody expected us to do that, not even our coaches,” said Masden.

“My favorite memory was for sure the Florida trip. It was just so much fun to hang out with my teammates and be at the beach,” said sophomore Lindsey Spencer.

Favorite memories are when you see kids perform at a level that shows them that their hard work is paying off… The week before at the region meet, (sophomore) Josh Wetzel ran a personal best by over 7 seconds in the 1600 meter run which was fantastic. Watching the progress of AJ Moss throughout the season was fun to watch. The emergence of several girl basketball players throughout the season was a tremendous boost to our team. We took a trip on Spring Break which was our first definitely brought some memories. And being able to work with Coach Whitfill finally has been a real joy for me,” said Raley.

This season has come to an end, but the underclassmen and coaches are looking forward to the upcoming season. “Moving forward is always tough as the seniors are hard to replace. Lauren Masden, Claire Feldhaus, Lindsey Duvall, Brianna Poole and Connor Green brought a lot of success to our team the last three years. So looking ahead, it is exciting to see younger athletes improve… We hope to add more depth to the team to score points in needed areas. We will work with newer athletes to help them improve. And it is always fun to see new freshman show up and contribute to the team,” said Raley.

The new season will begin next winter, but for now many of the long distance runners are working in cross country until the season arrives. Also, both Masden and Green are going to run track for college. Masden is running for Bellarmine University and Green is running for Spalding University.