New year, New teachers

Ethan Neutz, Staff Writer

Charger Nation is welcoming in multiple new faces this year.

Bullitt East is constantly bringing in new teachers and educational advisors to help students and this year is no exception with four new people joining Charger Nation.

Moving around the country multiple times has ultimately led Sandra Stengall to East. Like Stengall, Chris Upton took an opportunity to come teach the students of East. They are both ready to start a new chapter in their life.

Bullitt East prides itself on being the right fit for everyone and that’s no different for Stengall. “Bullitt East is by far the best school that I have had the opportunity to call home. The students are wonderful and respectful young people and show a positive reflection of their families,” said Stengall. This year she is teaching Integrated Math 1. “I am blessed to be working here at BE and thankful for the opportunity,” said Stengall. Stengall has been teaching for 36 years and has taught in both Mississippi and Arkansas.

Wanting to stay in Kentucky, Stengall’s husband accepted a job in Louisville and sold their house in Arkansas.

Stengall’s expectations for East are focused on the student’s future. “(I want) students to become successful in life and school, and enjoy their educational opportunities. Then to share their enthusiasm for life with others and future students,” said Stengall

This year, Stengall hopes to be involved in student activities as much as she can and get to know the students and their stories.

Another new teaching Charger is Upton. He is a Moderate to Severe Disabilities (MSD) teacher. This is not his first year working in this position. Upton was an assistant MSD teacher at North Hardin High School the year before last when he taught at Nelson County.

“My previous experiences working in special education have led me to pursue teaching MSD,” said Upton. While working at North Hardin, he decided to get his masters in MSD so that he could be a special education teacher.

“The climate in this school sets it apart from others. I am blown away by the friendliness of the staff members,” said Upton. He also says that he feels a sense of community among the students and teachers, which he said is not found too often. “I plan to teach and learn new things and celebrate victories with students,” said Upton. Upton definitely has the right mindset to start this new chapter in his life.

Both Stengall and Upton are excited for this upcoming year and have lots of plans to make Bullitt East their home.