Reaching for Goals

Junior+Josh+Wetzel+has+been+finishing+as+top+boy+a+lot+this+year.+His+times+keep+improving+as+he+runs+in+each+meet.+

Kelsi Sego

Junior Josh Wetzel has been finishing as top boy a lot this year. His times keep improving as he runs in each meet.

Haley Grether, Copy Editor

Yearly progression leads to a seasonal success.

As of September 9, the cross-country team traveled to Goshen, Kentucky to compete in the thirteenth annual Rumble Through the Jungle Cross-Country Invitational.  

This meet was hosted by North Oldham and was held at the Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve.  All members of the team are constantly improving their times with each meet.

Top boy this week was junior Josh Wetzel, completing his 5k run with a time of 18:34.44 and placed of 82 out of 224. Next on the team was freshman Camden Bohannon ending his run with a place of 104 and a time of 18:57.48. Then was junior Cole Davenport clocking in with a time of 19:46.64 and a place of 143.

Goals are a great thing to have in a sport like cross-country, as there is always room for improvement. “My goals for the season are to greatly improve my times from last year and to become a better runner,” said Davenport. So far he has stayed true to his goal and hopes to continue to do so in further meets.  

Junior Blake Hourigan was next with a clock in time of 20:08.93 and a place of 155. Not too far behind was junior Caleb Pennington with a place of 166 and a time of 20:25.39. Then was sophomore Zach Ballard when a time of 20:26.13, placing 167.

Overall, the boys team ranked second.

As for the girls, freshman Emily Tinelli came in fourth place out of 183 with a clock in time of 21:38.98. Next was freshman Cassie Clements in ninth place with time of 21:53.36. Freshman Abby Troutman came in placing 65, with a time of 24:39.06.

Then was junior Lindsey Spencer with a place of 67 and a time of 24:42.45. Ending with a place of 71, and a time of 24:54.34, was senior Meredith Thornsberry. Not too far behind was junior Abigail Clarkson completing her 5k run with a place of 75 and a time of 25:11.13. Senior Marie Spatzenegger was after with a time of 26:46.15 and a place of 112. Freshman Lindsey Walker completed her run with a time of 27:36.90 and a place of 131. Then was freshman Jaiden Hammack ended with a place of 142 and a time of 28:22.62.

Over all, the girls team placed fifth out of 18 teams with an average time of 23.33.

So far, this season the team has really shown what they can do. With each meet times are continuing to improve for the individual runners and the team as a whole.

As of September 12,  the cross-country team at east traveled  to Louisville, Kentucky to compete in the AAA Region 3 Master Meet #2. Held at Charlie Vettiner Park, this race was a 4k run beginning in the afternoon.

This meet was shown to be a success as members from both the boys and girls varsity teams at east placed first in their division.

As for the boys, Wetzel came in first place, completing his 4k run with a time of 14:31.41. Bohannon was next on the team placing third with a time of 14:49.57. Then was Davenport as he completed his run placing of 14 out of 55. Right behind was Hourigan ending his run with a time of 15:32.79, this placing him 15. Next on the team was Ballard bringing it in with a place of 20 and a time of 16:07.91.

As for the girls, Tinelli came in first completing her 4k run with a time of 16:47.85. Then was Clemens placing sixth with a clock in time of 18:09.89. Thornsberry came next with a clock in time of 19:31:46, placing her 13.

As the season progresses, many runners begin to formulate goals for themselves and teammates for this XC season. “My personal goal for the season is to run a 23 minute 5k, but for the team, I really want us to make it to state, I really think we have a shot,” said Thornsberry.

Spencer was after completing her 4k in with a place of 16 and a time of 19:59.33. Troutman ended her run with a time of 20:03.67 and a place of 18.  Ending her run in 20:27.41 was Clarkson, with a place of 21. Spatzenegger came next completing her run with a time of 21:25:10, placing her 23.  With a place of 33 was freshman Ashlee Williams as she crossed the finish line with a clock in time of 22:52.70.  

All members of the XC team performed exceptionally well in this 4k run, even more improvement is soon to come.

The next meet will be on September 23 Thomas Nelson High School Bardstown, Kentucky. On this day they will be competing in the annual Hillbilly Run.

Updated 9/20/17: Photographer name spelt wrong. Kelsey Sego to Kelsi Sego