Girls Golf Season Ending Recap

Tyler Steinmetz, Staff Writer

Girls golf ends with a bang.

Macie Brown, seventh grader, makes the second round cut for the first time in girls golf history.

The girls completed their season losing all of their matches. Seventh grader Macie Brown was the only golfer to qualify for state. There were no seniors on the team this year.

There were more golfers on the team this year than there has been in years. Yet there were no upperclassmen. The chargers ended the year with six golfers. Alyssa Shepherd, Mackenzie Cook, Alayna Wells, Macie Brown, Abby Atwell, and Emily Hendricks. This is the first time since 2012 that the girls have had enough players to post a team score.

With so many inexperienced players and not a lot to work with, the girls weren’t held to such high standards. This year was considered a “building year.” Most of the girls knew this wouldn’t be their best year. “This season went about as expected,” said Brown.

Macie Brown led the team this year having the best score in every match the girls participated in. Brown is expected to be a key player throughout senior year. She also believes she will be a key player saying, “By the end of my career I expect to be the high school state champion.”

With such a young team, coach Larry Steinmetz will hopefully make these girls into a solid team. “There is a whole lot of potential up for grabs,” said Steinmetz.