Ending the Season with Fast Times

Wetzel+and+his+teammates+begin+running+in+a+race.+

Ainsley Gordon

Wetzel and his teammates begin running in a race.

Haley Grether, Copy Editor

The XC team at East works toward their state goals at region.

On Saturday Oct. 28, the cross-country team traveled to Louisville, KY to compete in the KHSSA Region 3 Class AAA meet held at Seneca Park. The boys team began their run starting at 3:30 p.m followed by the girls who ran at 4:15 p.m. Results from this meet determine whether or not the runners will continue on to compete at the state meet.

Top boy on the team was junior Josh Wetzel ending his run with a place of 31 out of 65, he completed this race with a clock in time of 18:01.97. Next on the team, in place 35 was freshman Camden Bohannon clocking in at 18:30.03. Right behind in place 36 was junior Blake Hourigan with a clock in time of 18:37:65. Then was junior Cole Davenport placing 41 with a clock in time of 19:03.79. Sophomore Zach Ballard finished next on the team with a place of 44, clocking in at 19:25.25.

Overall East boys placed sixth with an average time of 18:43:90.

Top girl on the team was freshman Emily Tinelli, as she placed 13 out of 57 with a time of clock in time 21:20:38. Then was freshman Abby Troutman clocking in with a time of 22:22:68 and a place of 21. Next was junior Lindsey Spencer in place 26 with a clock in time of 23:29:09. Junior Abigail Clarkson completed her run and placed 28 with a clock in time of 23:41:86. Senior Meredith Thornsberry was after as she placed 32 with a clock in time of 23:58.94. Next was senior Marie Spatzenegger with a time of 23:58:94 and a place of 35.

Referring to one of her biggest motivations when running Thornsberry said, “seeing times drop is the most exciting thing and this year we have a full team so my other motivation is that we just want to get to state and every time we get better as a team, were just that much closer to making it to state.”

Over all the girls team at East placed fifth with an average time of 22:58.59.

All members on the girls team qualified to attend state, of which includes Tinelli, Spencer, Troutman, Clarkson, Thornsberry and Spatzenegger. Three members of the boys team also qualified, of which include Wetzel, Bohannon, and Hourigan.

State meet will be on Nov. 4. The team will travel to Lexington, Kentucky to run in the KHSAA State meet held at the New Horse Park. The Class AAA girls will start their run at 1:30 p.m. followed by the Class AAA boys who run at 2:15 p.m. Gates for spectators open at 8 a.m.