Wrestling Chargers Pre-season Outlook

The+BE+Wrestling+team+after+winning+the+Bullitt+Cup+last+season+at+Bullitt+Central.+

Twitter (@Wrestlingbehs)

The BE Wrestling team after winning the Bullitt Cup last season at Bullitt Central.

Zach Combest, Website Editor

Take downs and body slams are what they live for.

The Bullitt East wrestling team is gearing up for the 2017-18 season.

The wrestling team’s first match will be at home on Nov. 20. As the season is approaching fast, the team is preparing for their competition. The team is looking to make another strong push to state.

The wrestling team’s first meet of the year will be against Doss and Bardstown High School. Before that, the wrestling Chargers will have a scrimmage on Nov. 11 at Fern Creek High School as they take on the Fern Creek Tigers and Bullitt Central Cougars. This will be a good chance for the team to evaluate their progress and look for improvements before the season begins. “It will help because we have a lot of new guys filling in every weight class. It’s going to show us what the new guys got and how we can improve,” said senior Evan Spurgeon.

The wrestling team is in the class of 3A.  They have many rivals such as St. X, Trinity, Bullitt Central and Fern Creek. The Chargers have five meets at home this year, which is more than usual for the team. “I definitely like having a lot of home matches this season. Having to drive all the way out to let’s say Louisville Central can be tiring. It’s way better waking up at let’s say like 7 a.m. instead of 6 a.m. to get ready,” said senior Austin Smith. The team will face Valley and Iroquois High School in their second home meet of the season on Nov. 29.

“Show up to the home meets and be there ready to see people get thrown, slammed and blood,” said Spurgeon. The team has many weight classes and Spurgeon is in the 285 weight class when he is at the bottom of that class at 206.

“The competition is usually tough. You have the ‘big dogs’ at Fern Creek this year, Bullitt Central has a full line up this year, and I haven’t heard too much about any other teams like PRP or Doss,” said Smith.

The wrestling team has a new face leading the team this year. Tom Wells is the new head coach this season. “I grew up in Pennsylvania and my Dad started me in wrestling when I was in second grade and I wrestled all the way through high school. When my oldest son Tucker began to wrestle in seventh grade we started him in the Fern Creek club where they welcomed me to help coach the middle and youth. I approached (Troy) Barr in the summer when coach Ritter put in his resignation. For the last two years I would attend a few BE practices and helped the team out. Most of them knew me from helping out when I was not at Fern Creek. I have two boys on the current team Tucker (junior) and Logan (7),” said Wells.

It’s a transition year for the team with a new coach in charge. “Transition has been good and I think most of the boys are beginning to buy in on the style of wrestling I am trying to teach them,” said Wells. Spurgeon agrees the transition has been good, but it has been a new style for the wrestling team and Spurgeon has had to change his style of wrestling and learning how to be better at more fast paced wrestling techniques.

“The kids are responding great. I am very demanding on them and they are training their butts off … you earn everything in this sport … nothing is going to be handed to you. Takes a special kid to come out for wrestling and stay with it … it’s a grind physically, mentally and you also have to be disciplined in your weight management and diet,” said Wells. The team has been working hard after school during practices to get prepared for the season.   

As for the players they have many goals. “Some of the team’s goals are to take the Bullitt Cup home for the fourth time in a row, beat Fern Creek and to take everyone to State Championships and place,” said Smith. Wells wants to have a wrestler contend for a regional championship and have a wrestler contend for a state medal for the first time in school history. The state championship will be held on Feb. 16 and 17 in Lexington, KY. KHSAA regionals will be on Feb. 10. Spurgeon hopes to make it to state this year and not as a backup like last year.

The athletes are excited for the season to start. “I’m excited for a lot really. I’m excited to kick off the season and end the season as a team. Nothing bothers me more than having a divided team,” said Smith.

Leadership is key to many sports and it’s no different for the wrestling team this season. “We have a great group of leaders on the team and they are beginning to achieve and develop a great work ethic …. the sky is the limit as long as they continue to put in the effort and work hard … by the end of the year barring any injuries, we hope to compete for a Regional championship,” said Wells. There are many seniors on the team and they look to be the leaders of the team and help the younger wrestling grow and get better.

Come out and support the wrestling team in their first match of the season on Nov. 20 in the main gym. Follow all the action all year along on twitter @BELivewire. All BE high school students, Eastside and Mount Washington Middle School students will get free admission to all five home meets this year. Come out and support your Chargers!