College Basketball Top 5

College Basketball Top 5

Montrell Page, Staff Writer

It’s that time of the year once again.

College basketball is in season and the rankings are out which show Duke as the powerhouse again with the number one rank.

The 2016-17 college basketball season ended with North Carolina being crowned the new champion. The 2017-18 season is here with the top five teams in college basketball, and their all talented.

Duke has been number one team in the country for two years in a row, now and a highly potential final four contender. With senior Grayson Allen returning and having the number one recruiting class of 2017 including the number one player Marvin Bagley and Mike Krzyzewski, and the blue devils are going to be very hard to stop this year.

Michigan State has the number two ranking in college basketball and also has potentially a very talented team. With five star Miles Bridges returning and three talented freshmen, Coach Tom Izzo and the Spartans have a good chance of being in the final four this year.

Arizona is the number three team in college basketball. The team has veterans like Allonzo Trier, Dusan Ristic and a healthy Rawle Alkins. They dominated last year making it to the final four, but with the 7-1 elite freshmen Deandre Ayton may help Sean Miller and the Wildcats win their second-ever championship.

The Kansas Jayhawks are the fourth best team in college basketball led by coach Bill Self. Self has a talented roster. With senior c’ Graham back, and a Mississippi State transfer Malik Newman who was 2015 McDonald’s All-American, the Jayhawks are going to be very experienced and a tough team to beat.  

Kentucky caught the number five spot in the rankings. This team is one of the youngest team that Calipari has ever had. It is compared to Kentucky’s 2014 team that had a rough regular season, but ended in the title game that season. The only experience on this team is Wenyen Gabriel who averaged five points last season. It will be a tough season this year for the young cats.

College basketball will be the sport to watch this year with so much competition and excitement.