Choir is Decked Out for the Holidays

Choir director Carrie Gary introducing the first group of students at Monday’s concert.

Olivia Armstrong, Copy Editor

https://youtu.be/SrR0BAHPbAs

https://youtu.be/6AxnOx2taXE

Choir is kicking off a holly jolly Christmas.

Choir’s second concert of the year got many in the holiday mood, as it featured several familiar Christmas jingles.

The Christmas concert was choir’s second overall concert of the year. There was a big turnout, and both students and parents were happy with the event. The concert featured a few special guests, and ended with a heartwarming duet.

Keeping true with the month of December, the concert Monday was decked out with Christmas cheer. Lasting about an hour in length, students sung an array of holiday tunes.

The concert began with a performance from concert choir. They sung three songs, including “Do You Hear What I Hear?” and a medley of five holiday songs, including “Jingle Bells” and “Jolly Old Saint Nicholas.”

After that, Carry Gary’s vocal technique class took the stage to sing some Christmas songs of their own, “December Rose” and “Nutcracker Jingles.” During their performance of December Rose, the concert had its first special guest; sophomore Patricia Ruess, in band, performed alongside, playing the flute. Ruess noted how much she enjoyed both playing alongside the group, and hearing all their other solo pieces. “[Choir] is a distinguished group and has wonderful work ethic,” said Ruess.

Advanced choir’s performance also featured yet another special guest. During their song “Betelehemu,” sophomore Sam Johnson and senior Jacklyn Carter accompanied the choir with a tambourine and drum. The song was derived from Nigerian Christian folk text. “I was very confident in my performance,” said Johnson.

Advanced continued with “Little Drummer Boy,” “O Holy Night” and “Coventry Carol.” They then sung “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” with solos from Matt Brown and Kaleigh Foster. “I feel like I did good, I could’ve done better, but as an artist it’ll never be perfect,” said Foster.

Before the finale, Gary took a special opportunity to welcome alumni in the crowd onto the stage to sing “Carol of the Bells.” Among some of the alumni was spanish teacher Madeline Mann, Gaby King and Gabe Ruth. “It was very nostalgic and it was over way too soon,” said King. Gary was rather emotional during the song, as this is an annual tradition for her.

Students in the choir felt the concert was successful. “It was heartwarming and really fun,” said sophomore Beth Woods.

Sophomore Devon Price agreed, “I was happy with how the songs still had a bunch of energy and carried well, as we practiced them a ton in class,” said Price

Parents were also happy with the concert. “I enjoyed the concert, the songs were Christmas themed but had unique versions of our favorites tunes,” said Danielle Price.

Parent Krista Woods noted how well prepared the choir seemed.

Towards the end of the concert, Gary took one last opportunity to welcome some final guests. Decked with kazoos, Bullitt East’s Music Alive class got a chance to perform alongside the choir in their performance of “Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas.”

“I love that she included the Music Alive class,” said Danielle Price.

King noted how she wished programs like Music Alive were more common around the world. “It was absolutely beautiful and filled me with joy.”

The next concert is scheduled for spring of 2018. It will be held at St. Francis Xavier Church.