New Year, Big Goals

KHSAA

Bullitt East cheerleaders posing for a picture after winning state.

Emmy Ralph, Staff Writer

On the road to state.

Bullitt East cheerleaders head into the new year; putting their nerves to the side, hoping to win the national title.

The cheerleaders, without a doubt, did not let fear take over their last few performances. Their intense, well put together routine resulted in them taking a trip to Lexington, Kentucky to perform for state. They then will be performing for a national title.

The cheerleading team made their community proud by an outstanding performance at state. Like usual, state was held at Altech Horse Park Arena. There were ten teams that performed in their division, Bullitt East came out on top, with the second highest score in the state.

The team has found themselves more confident in their performances, after learning of their score at state. “I feel like we gained some confidence because we were the second highest scoring in the state out of all the different divisions(small, medium, large, super large, coed A, and coed B),” said junior, Taylor Ramsey.

By winning state, the cheerleaders will be performing for a national title in Orlando, Florida at the ESPN sports center. They will perform on Feb. 10.

Nerves may or may not get in the way of performances. “We usually don’t let our nerves get in the way of our performances. But, we have some superstitions like every team does, but as long as we have a good warm up and stay calm and stay confident and do what we really know how to do, I don’t think nerves will interfere with our performance,” said freshman, Makayla McMichael.

Other members on the team, feel as though nerves are a larger obstacle for them. “I think the nerves get to most of us but we all try to stay calm and just motivate each other. We also like to sing and just have fun to get rid of some of those nerves,” said Ramsey.

The cheerleading team has big goals and have worked very hard to accomplish them. They have big expectations as they head toward nationals. “I think we will do pretty good as long as we don’t let nerves get the best of us and we focus. We have a very strong routine and we should stay humble and hope for the best,” said McMichael.

The cheerleaders have had a very successful season so far, and will hopefully bring home a national championship.