New Competition For Trump

Morgan Harbolt

A lot of campaign shirts, coffee mugs, and hats have been made already saying Oprah 2020.

Morgan Harbolt, Photo Editor

Hope-rah 2020

Talk about Oprah Winfrey running for 2020 president blows up on social media and the news.

Winfrey gave a powerful speech at the 2018 Golden Globes. Shortly after rumors were sparked about Winfrey running for president in 2020. Winfrey had turned down the thought when mentioned before but seems to be thinking about it now.

The majority of women wore black to the 2018 Golden Globes to protest against sexual harassment for the #MeToo campaign. Well known stars such as Meryl Streep, Reese Witherspoon and Winfrey herself being strong voices in the campaign. This is what Winfrey’s speech was centered around. On social media women would tell their sexual harassment stories and put at the end “#MeToo.” Winfrey said in her speech, “…fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say “Me too” again.”

Sophomore Alyssa Pilkerton said, “I do believe her Golden Globes speech was powerful, dealing with oppression can be frustrating. Oppression is still living within today and I applaud every man and woman that had/has to deal with it on a daily basis, and has made it through, with strong will and hope. Winfrey has a voice that can be heard since she has impact on millions of people and I think it is great she uses it in a positive way.”

The crowd was wild for Winfrey’s powerful words and thought that she showed some presidential worthy leadership. Winfrey had been asked before about whether she would consider running for president or not on the talk show “The Talk.” Winfrey turned it down immediately saying she didn’t have enough experience. But the question was immediately fired back up after her speech.

A lot of people who are against Winfrey running for office will say that she has no political experience. People who are for Winfrey running for president will say that neither did Trump. Sophomore Donovan Matheiss said, “Trump understands how the economy works and knows how to handle and spend money. He is a billionaire so he must be doing something right.”

Pilkerton said, “Political experience is a major characteristic you need when running as a candidate. Although, everyone has a different approach and idea on how the country should be ran, I do believe everyone can agree that political experience should be something you have to have.”

An outside source had said that Winfrey is now thinking about it after her speech, but she has recently came to the conclusion that Oprah 2020 will most likely not happen.