This Years Red Zone

Kari Stewart

The Red Zone at the Bullitt Central vs Bullitt East game in support of Marshall County.

Morgan Harbolt

Red Zone Rowdies…more like lowsies.

Bullitt East student section for games is going downhill.

The basketball teams feels disrespected when the Red Zone isn’t there. When they are there, no one cheers. Students feel like past years have been better.

Red Zone Rowdies has been a Bullitt East tradition for years now. It is the student section at sports games and a club. Seniors are always suppose to be the leaders. They start the cheers, pick the themes and are suppose to make the student section the loudest and proudest. Although lately the Red Zone has not been its best.

Sophomore Varsity player Ethan Boyer said, “When it was the Marshall county game the red zone brought a lot of energy to us playing. When they aren’t really any students in the Red Zone we don’t have as much fun with it. I really think the students are what gives us energy in our games.”

Varsity basketball coach Jason Couch said, “I think it provides us with motivation and if we aren’t doing too well our guys draw strength from it and we come back.”

There are games where the Red Zone shows out and it’s big. The Bullitt East versus Bullitt Central game was in honor of Marshall County. The student section was full to the max and overflowing on all ends. The team played great and everyone was excited. Although then there are games like the CAL game. Hardly anyone was there and there was little to no cheering, a lot of kids actually sat down. The team still pulled a win, but there was no excitement.

Some students think last year’s Red Zone was more fun. Sophomore Ashleigh Thompson said, “I think it was better last year, because we did more chants and cheers.” Some of the things they would do is the “roller coaster ride” and “part the red sea.”

Senior Peyton Meredith said, “My junior year was probably the best, had good leaders who took charge.”

Leader of the Red Zone, senior Lexie Fisher said, “I think last years Red Zone was probably better in a since that it had more involvement. As each year goes and how our school and just society itself changes, not many people care about school spirit and involvement. They are more worried about partying and what they are doing before or after the game. I think at certain games we had a huge crowd and loudness this year but I think overall, the involvement and wanting to be a part of the Red Zone and get rowdy at games was more success last year.”

Students also feel that the themes this year aren’t creative enough and when they are no one does them. Junior Zach Hill said, “The themes have been okay this year, they could of been better if more people would show up and do them.” Most themes have been really simple compared to last year’s, but students still try to make the best of it. Although, Friday night’s game against big rival North Bullitt was a great show out and the energy was there.