Baseball Season Recap

Zak Perdew

The 2017-2018 Varsity squad

Hunter Brogan, Staff Writer

An end to a dominant season.

The Chargers had a strong year finishing the regular season at 24-8. They picked quality wins over Fern Creek twice, Simon Kenton, South Oldham, Ballard, Butler and Central Hardin.

This past regular season has been a good one to say the least. They kept their momentum going into the postseason. The Chargers won their district with a 7-1 win over Fern Creek. With this district championship, that earned them a home game for the first round of the sixth region tournament. The Chargers beat the Fairdale Bulldogs with a score of 8-2 to advance to the next round of the region against rival North Bullitt. The Chargers won this game 3-2 on a walk off double from Harrison Vereb.

This years squad includes three seniors: Sean Johnson, Cody Billings and Peyton Meredith. Johnson, a multi position player, plays pitcher, shortstop, and second base. Billings is a pitcher and Meredith catches for the team. The young team did the best they could to keep the season moving on for their seniors.

Part of this dominant season was spent in Disney over spring break. They went 4-1 over the break and picked up a big win against the number four team in New Jersey, Passaic Valley with a score of 12-1. The other three wins were against the Hilton Cadets out of New York with a score of 11-3, another against the Kenosha Indian Trail Hawks out of Wisconsin with a score of 6-0 and their last win came against the Pittsford Mendon Vikings 9-7. Their only loss came against Highland Park High School out of Illinois.

The Chargers season came to an end in the region six championship against the PRP Panthers 9-0. Although the season didn’t end like they wanted it to, it still doesn’t take away what they did this past season.