Cross-Country Runs in a 5k Over Fall Break

Emily Tinelli

The boys on team warm up for their meet.

Haley Grether, Magazine Editor

For runners, a break from school doesn’t mean a break from running.

Over fall break the cross-country team traveled out of town to compete.

On Sept. 29, the team traveled to Louisville, Kentucky to compete in the annual Greater Louisville Classic Competition. This meet was hosted at the E.P. Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville. Members of the team ran in a 5k at this meet.

Top boy on the team to place was freshman Dalton Lesher as he placed 49 out of 418 runners. Lesher completed his run with a time of 17:03.00. Next on the team was freshman Isaiah Malone ending his run with a place of 160 and a time of 18:17.30. Then was senior Blake Hourigan in place 269 clocking in at 19:23.20. Right behind was freshman Cody Bostock in place 271 with a time of 19:25.30. Sophomore Logan Gentry was next on the team in place 298 with a time of 19:45.00. While senior Nicholas Wright ended his 5k with a time of 20:04.10 and a place of 321.

Overall, the boys team placed 40 out of 56 teams with an average time of 18:46.00.

Many runners on the team practice their running outside of practice and competitions. “To prepare I usually have a light meal and try to stay off my feet to be ready to race. The team practices every day for two hours and I do core workouts when I get home to improve time in races. Our goals for the rest of the season are to make state as a team and try to get on stage at the state meet,” Said Hourigan.

Top girl on the team to place was freshman Mia Maguire in place 68 out of 365 runners with a clock time of 20:49.20. Then was sophomore Emily Tinelli in place 151 with a time of 22:19.30. Next on the team was freshman Emma Egan in place 158 with a time of 22:25.20.

The season is ending quickly, many runners are excited about what is to come in the next couple weeks. “I’m excited to finish the season with my team, my goals are to help my team to state and help run as best as I can,” said Tinelli.

On Oct. 13 the team traveled to Buckner, Kentucky to compete in the Oldham County Cross-Country Haunted Woods Classic.