Girls Soccer Takes 24th District Champion Title Yet Again

Junior+Chloe+Holt+fighting+for+possession+of+the+ball+in+the+girls+soccer+game+against+Mercy.+The+Chargers+have+beat+Mercy+twice+this+year%2C+and+are+looking+for+another+win+this+upcoming+Friday.+Chloe+is+a+great+player+and+exerts+confidence+when+she+carries+the+ball%2C+said+Mahoney.+

Cameron Payne

Junior Chloe Holt fighting for possession of the ball in the girls soccer game against Mercy. The Chargers have beat Mercy twice this year, and are looking for another win this upcoming Friday. “Chloe is a great player and exerts confidence when she carries the ball,” said Mahoney.

Katie Huffman, Executive Editor

They’re climbing up in the ranks, looking to break previous records.

The team has earned the title of 24th district champions for the second year in a row.

The girls soccer team is currently ranked 27 in the state. They have a regular season record of 14-4-1 and a district record of 3-0. Four players have been selected to play on the All District Tournament Team.

Thursday night, the championship game was held at Mercy Academy, against Mercy. The team has only managed to beat Mercy within the past two years. This school year was the first time that the ladies have beat Mercy during a regular season game.

“Beating Mercy for two years in a row now is amazing and it brings me joy seeing how happy Steve [head coach] is when we walk off the field as champions,” said Junior Tayler Mahoney. Mahoney has been on the team for five seasons, starting in the seventh grade.

Seniors Carly Witt and Madison Gregory were selected for the All District Tournament Team, as well as juniors Chloe Holt and Sarah Ezell. “It felt good because I worked really hard in off season and regular season and Steve’s never picked me for that, I’ve only got All Region where other teams pick you, which I wasn’t expecting either,” said Holt.

After defeating Mercy, the team faced Iroquois High School as the opening round in the Region 6 Tournament Oct. 15 and came out on top again with a final score of 11-0. Up next, they played North Bullitt Oct. 17. at Mercy Academy, and ended up winning again with a score of 4-0.

The next girls soccer game will be tomorrow, Oct. 19 at Mercy Academy, facing Mercy Academy as well. Kickoff will be at 6 p.m. If the ladies win this game, they will have the title of Sixth Region Champions.