Proving Successful at the Start of the Wrestling Season

Madeline Myers

Sophomore Matthew Hendricks, a member of the wrestling team, beats Taylor County High School as the second competitor during the home match on Jan. 9. Contributions like his and other members of the team who have been putting forth a relentless effort to strengthen their wrestling skills are the main sources of the team’s improvement from last year; if the effort continues, the team will be much more likely to finally achieve the end-of-season goals that have been desired by them for many years. “Wrestling is more than a sport, it’s a brotherhood,” said Hendricks.

Madeline Myers, Copy Editor

The wrestling team has placed considerably high in the four matches that have composed the beginning of their season, indicating their improvement from last year.

On Dec. 1 at the Bearcat Brawl tournament, which was held in Boone County, Kentucky, the wrestling team secured fourth place out of eleven teams. In doing so, they won their pool by beating Boone County by a score of 60-21 and Henry Clay by a score of 57-21. But when they advanced to the semi finals, they were beaten by Boyle County by a score of 41-36 and Walton Verona by a score of 52-30.

The Quad held at Fern Creek on Dec. 5 resulted in Bullitt East coming in second place, with them beating Central and Fairdale but losing to Fern Creek.

Bullitt East finished in fourth place once again at The King of the Bluegrass Tournament held at Fairdale on Dec. 8. But as this tournament consisted of 23 teams, fourth place was a considerably impressive achievement.

At the Tri Meet match held at Valley High School on Dec. 12, Bullitt East ranked second place by beating Valley by a score of 50-11 but losing to DeSales High School by four points.

Sophomore Matthew Hendricks, who is currently faring well this season and is aiming to achieve first place in the region this year as well as the second day of the state tournament, believes that the team has been more successful than anticipated for this start of the season. But as the rest of the season is still yet to come, they have much time to improve even further from their lower performance of last year. “I think the team’s doing great this season. We’re beating teams that we had no chance against last year and that’s awesome, but there’s always room for improvement. Some guys on the team just need to get in the wrestling mindset and they just gotta grind out this season,” said Hendricks.