Student Scheduling Begins

Richardson’s guidance counselor sign out side of her office. She presented to english classes in the library for everyone’s scheduling needs.

Ella Olds, Copy Editor, Business Coordinator

Along with a new school year comes a new schedule.

Scheduling for the new school year has been going on for the past two weeks in students’ English classes.

With the help of teachers, students can easily pick the classes right for them. English classes have been visiting the library to get descriptions for the options they have for their next year’s classes. Students feel a variety of emotion when it comes to picking out their classes.

Scheduling runs smoothly with the help of teachers. Students ask their teachers what classes they would recommend them to take in regards to core classes. Some teachers even get their own past students to present on what a class is about that they are currently taking. They do this to have their current students gain a better understanding of what core class to take after the one they are in currently.

Junior Elizabeth Smith has gotten help from a few of her teachers in regards to what core classes she should take next year. “Some of my teachers have given me recommendations, like my math and english teacher,” said Smith. Smith is going into her senior year so to graduate she only needs two more core classes, her english and math class. Needing to take these core classes is where her current English and math teachers come into helping her with her decision.

During the week of Feb. 11-15 English classes have visited the library and gotten a different colored paper based on grade level that has all their class options for the 2019-2020 school year. While in the library Guidance Counselor Savannah Richardson went over students class options depending on grade level. The sheet gave students options for all their core classes and electives. Students had up to 4-5 days to get their schedule filled out without classes they wanted to be put in the following year and to get it signed by a parent/guardian and brought back to school to get entered into the computer.

Sophomore Shelby Showalter finds the process very helpful when it comes to scheduling. “The process is so organized and with my own counselor doing scheduling when we go to the library I can go to her with any last minute questions,” said Showalter. All counselors are in the library to enter class requests in the computer during scheduling, so if any student has questions about the process or class options they can directly to speak to their assigned counselor.

Students have mixed emotions on scheduling. Some find it stressful while others are prepared and already know what they are taking before schedule papers come out. To graduate you have to be college or career ready, so most students focus on that when scheduling their elective classes.

Sophomore Savannah Childress tends to get stressed when this time of year comes around. “I get really stressed out when it comes to scheduling because I’m never sure if I’m taking the right classes. I also get stressed out if my classes are too hard,” said Childress. When picking classes, students should be able to judge their ability in the classroom, so as to pick the right classes for their following school year. If they were to pick classes above their own ability level it could cause the student to have unwanted emotions of anxiety and stress.

Although scheduling is fairly early before the end of the school year, students final schedules will not be released until later in the summer. Usually, they are put out sometime in July; one or two weeks before the school year begins.