Online Schooling and the Struggles That Come With It

The frequently used app by students and teachers, Zoom.

Ella Olds

A whole new world.

Both teachers and students are slowly navigating this new schooling aspect while dealing with the struggles of online school.

Learning anything new comes with struggles. A reoccurring one with online school is communication. Without being in person many are struggling with getting in touch with teachers in case they have questions or getting connected to zoom calls to be able to get their questions answered. Depending on who you are as a person, some struggle with staying focused, managing their time efficiently, and dealing with feelings. Feelings such as, anxiety, loneliness, and stress. Some don’t have the resources at home to learn efficiently and effectively during this time. 

With school being online, some might find it hard to make connections with their new classmates and teachers. Teachers are doing their best to stay involved with their students and being available for questions and one on one Zoom meetings. Typically, classes have required Zoom calls Mondays and Wednesdays. Fridays are the optional day where students can reserve a time and meet with a specific teacher where you can get help on that class’s  assignments. Teachers follow this schedule of two required classes and one optional but they just might be on different days. 

The barrier of not being able to see your teacher in person everyday is a tough one for many students. Even with this struggle, there are ways around it. Such as, the optional zoom meetings, and messaging your teacher with questions. Many students also reach out to their friends that are in the same classes and work together on their assignments when they need some extra help or just want to work together. “Usually I will email my teacher if I have a problem with class work or if I need help. Sometimes I text or facetime my friends if we want to do our math work together,” said junior Grace Satterfield.

As a teacher, Abigail Phillips has her own ways of making connections with her students. “I try very hard to check in with all of my students. I ask silly questions. I follow up with emails. I try to find time to talk to them about their days either at the start or end of our Zooms,” said Phillips. Every teacher has their own ways of getting their students included while still trying to figure out all the aspects of online school.

Satterfield prefers online school. Because of ending school last year online, there hasn’t been much of a change to her. For her, the biggest difference is the required Zoom calls which she appreciates because the teachers are still involved and explaining work. Personally, she feels that she is a more private person when it comes to her social life. “I’d rather do work alone than in groups, and working online at home helps me relax while still being able to complete all my work,” said Satterfield. 

On the other end, Tyler Wheatley, junior, prefers in person learning. “I prefer being in-person because it allows you to communicate with your friends and also makes it easier to ask questions in class. I also like in-person because I miss seeing all my friends and being with your friends is a huge part of school,” said Wheatley.

Depending on yourself, you might like one version of school over the other. This year you have a choice, and the opportunity to pick the schooling that works for you. Online or in-person, we are in this together.