From Small Loss to Big Win

Senior+Slade+Douthett+getting+ready+to+swing.+Douthett+was+one+of+the+main+players+of+the+May+8+game%2C+against+Bullitt+Central%2C+where+they+won+10-0%2C+Bullitt+East.+%E2%80%9CI+think+we+played+very+good+Saturday%2C+as+a+team.+We+knew+going+into+the+game%2C+that+this+would+be+a+must-win+game%2C+for+us.+For+the+most+part%2C+we+made+all+of+our+plays%2C+and+hit+the+ball+well%2C%E2%80%9D+Douthett+said.+

Brodie Curtsinger

Senior Slade Douthett getting ready to swing. Douthett was one of the main players of the May 8 game, against Bullitt Central, where they won 10-0, Bullitt East. “I think we played very good Saturday, as a team. We knew going into the game, that this would be a must-win game, for us. For the most part, we made all of our plays, and hit the ball well,” Douthett said.

Brodie Curtsinger, Sports Editor

Coming out short, but ending in success.

The first game, the baseball failed to win, but they came back in the second game, defeating Bullitt Central, ending the week in success. 

May 6, they played against Jeffersonville High School, in Jeffersonville, IN, at their field. May 8, they played against Bullitt Central High School, at our field. The team plans to continue to improve.

They lost the game against Jeffersonville, with a score of 5-3, Jeffersonville. 

Bowles feels that the team, that day, did not play to their best ability. “Jeffersonville is a very good team, and I don’t feel we played well enough to beat a team like that. We made some key baserunning mistakes, and our pitchers struggled to throw strikes at times. You can’t give good teams with extra outs, or ‘freebies,’ (walks, errors, extra bases, etc.) as we call them,” Bowles said, “They have a really nice field and we got to play on it. Luke Monroe did have a couple of hits in the game, and pitched well in spots.” Bowles noticed a couple highlights, though, with junior Lucas Monroe.

Douthett believes that that game wasn’t the best, as well. “Our team, overall, didn’t play to the caliber that we can. We played okay for it to be a good game, but we should’ve hit the ball better, in order to win that game,” Douthett said, “A highlight of the game was that Lucas Monroe threw a good game for us, that we should’ve got the win, for him.” Douthett noticed some highlights, from that game, that day, such as junior Lucas Monroe, just like the coach. 

They won the game against Bullitt Central, with a score of 10-0, Bullitt East. This game actually ended early, at the bottom of the sixth inning. Bullitt East was up 10 points over Bullitt Central, and whenever that happens, the game ends early.

Douthett feels as if the game was pretty good. “I think we played very good Saturday, as a team. We knew going into the game, that this would be a must-win game, for us. For the most part, we made all of our plays, and hit the ball well,” Douthett said, “Some highlights were that we won 10-0, against a county rival. So, that means we have beaten both the county teams, 8-0, and 10-0.” Douthett noticed a highlight, or two, from that game.

For the upcoming games, Bowles plans to improve his team, by following a famous baseball saying. “There’s a baseball saying that goes, ‘Good pitching, and timely hitting, is a winning combination.’ We’ve had both of these at different points in the season, but have rarely put the two together. When we have, the results have been very good, such as the games of Spencer County, Shelby County, and North Bullitt,” Bowles said.

Douthett plans to improve, by thinking more about the plays they make, for the upcoming games. “We plan on improving by making sure we make all of the plays that we should make, being ‘baseball-smart’ during the games, and making sure we do what is best for the team,” Douthett said.

The next game will be a home game, against Christian Academy, at 6 p.m., May 10.