The Girls Golf Team’s Performance at the 2022 Bluegrass Invitational

Colton Harbolt, Executive Editor

Swinging with determination.

The girls golf team completed the 2022 Bluegrass Invitational, going through the 18 holes at Heritage Hill golf club.

Brown tees off on the 10th hole, kicking off the back 9 with a (-1) birdie. On the front 9, she scored all pars. “The thing I’m most proud of is being consistent and having all pars and birdies on my score card,” Brown said.

After hard work and intense preparation, the girls golf team hosted and completed the 2022 Bluegrass Invitational at the Heritage Hill golf club which included an intimidating 18 holes. Senior Macie Brown competed, making it her first high school tournament of the season, and earned second place overall, maintaining the impressive reputation she held last year. As for the team overall, they competed with five players, being their first competition for most of them, who all impressively completed all 18 holes. 

Brown kicked off her senior season with an impressive but not surprising result of a (-3) under par 72 , earning second place by only one shot. With her performance last season, becoming the 2021 state champion, expectations were high for her to perform well and show what she has to offer for the coming season. Throughout the tournament, Brown stayed consistent the entire round, scoring all pars and three birdies. On the front nine, Brown scored all around pars up until the back nine, where she got three birdies on holes 10, 13, and 17. 

Although this is an impressive performance, Brown felt that she could have scored better, mentioning that she had issues with par 5 holes and putting, “I didn’t take advantage of the par fives as much as I should have and some of my putts weren’t getting to the hole so they never had a chance to make it,” Brown said. She will be working on both in practice in order to even further perfect her technique for the next tournament. 

As for the rest of the team, four other girls competed in the tournament, freshman Liz Swift (136), sophomore Grace Shepard (132), junior Taylor Young (146) and senior Caitlyn Murphy (129). This is impressive not only because five girls competing is uncommon for the team, but all five made it through the 18 hole course, which is an accomplishment alone. With a course of that magnitude, you’ll find players dropping out due to the time and effort it requires to complete all 18 holes, but all five of our players made it through even though this was the first tournament for most of some of them. “I’m happy overall, especially for this being the first tournament for some of these girls,” Coach Larry Steinmetz said. Regardless of the score, the fact that all of our players made it through the course and stayed strong throughout each hole shows just how promising this season is.