Girls on Fire

The team is keeping the faith while playing a challenging group of sets against Nelson County with an optimistic mindset. The lady chargers played and won 3 sets consecutively for two games in one week soon after. “We focused on the next point and kept moving forward,” Torrie Frist said. Photo Credits: Milana Ilickovic

Milana Ilickovic, Photography Editor

You can’t stop them.

Our varsity volleyball squad is dominating this season so far, winning two games this week, and taking on a tournament.

The team earned 4th place in The Apollo Summer Slam Tournament that took place last weekend. The team also played Nelson County on Monday, August 22nd, and even after their loss, the girls kept going. The following games against Jeffersontown and Bullitt Central were both wins for BE. 

“Even though we did come up short, I am proud of how we all played and the determination we had all weekend,” Senior varsity member Torrie Frist said. The team won their first game of the Summer Slam, against Apollo High School, and won the next three games as well against Thomas Nelson County, Crittenden and Daviess County. “I think our communication on Friday and our first 2 games on Saturday was very well,” Senior varsity member Hayla Puckett said. One of the main focuses for the team coming into this season was to have better communication, and these girls are giving their all to achieve this goal.

The team made it to the Final Four and played Boyd County where they lost the game. To determine if the girls would be placed third or fourth, BE played Central Hardin in a crossover match. Central Hardin won the match and the team finished in fourth place. “We had some problems come our way during our last two games which caused us to all seem like we forgot how to play the game,” Puckett said. When one thing does not go as planned in a group of games such as a tournament, it becomes difficult to keep your head in the game. “My biggest takeaway from the games this weekend is we need to play harder when we get in those close games situations and not give up,” Frist said.

In the game with Nelson, BE won the second match and scored close in the first and third sets where they lost. “I wish we would’ve fought a little harder in the last set to pull out the win,” Frist said. The team is determined and not giving up. Aside from focusing on what areas need growth, highlighting strengths helps the players see progress in their performance. “We communicated very well when trying to make changes on the court. We played really well defense and never gave up on a play. Even when someone made a mistake, we focused on the next point and kept moving forward,” Frist said. Determination is key, and it showed in their following games.

The Lady Chargers played J-Town and Bullitt Central, winning all three matches in both games. What a comeback and good attitude these young ladies had after the tournament and Nelson County game. The next game is a home game against The Christian Academy of Louisville on Tuesday, August 30th. Our varsity team is ready to take on the games that come next.