Rallying for Homecoming

Zach Combest and Haley Grether

Making a striking end to homecoming week in Charger Nation.

Bullitt East held a teachers versus students rocketball pep rally to end homecoming week.

On Friday September 22, East held a homecoming pep rally. The event consisted of recognizing this year’s homecoming court and a rocketball game between the seniors and teachers followed. Students had a positive response to the pep rally and showed school spirit for their fellow classmates.

Rocket ball is a sport very similar to traditional volleyball, except it’s a team of all boys. The game happens annually in the fall and usually has a really good turn out. Since seniors won their games against underclassman, they then competed against teachers in the pep rally.

Going into the game, there was lots of talk about who would take the win. “I think the seniors are going to win, because they’re more athletic than the teachers,” said senior Haley Chisolm.

All three games were very close as the teacher and students both wanted to take the win. Teachers won the first set, but the seniors came back to in the next two and take the win over the teachers.

This event, held during school, required an admission fee of one dollar. This decision was made in hopes to reduce the number of people who don’t actually want to be there. For some, this sounded like a great idea, but others had mixed feelings. “It’s really dumb how they’re making us pay a dollar for a school event, on homecoming, for the pep rally not even the game,” said sophomore Roger Humphrey.

Many seniors enjoyed the pep rally and supporting their fellow classmates. “I feel like the pep rallies really improve school morale and culture, and everyone I saw in the gym seemed like they were proud to be there,” said senior rocketball player Sean Woods.

Senior Summer Barr thought it was exciting and hopes East continues pep rallies that incorporates teachers and students. Many seniors held signs in support of their team. One sign said “Rob T is weak” while another said “Kelty stick to art.”

Overall, the rally had a good turn out, getting everyone ready for the homecoming football game later that night.