Back and Better

Ryley Ortega, Copy Editor

Coach Couch potato is back on his feet.

Returning from from a six month recovery, head basketball coach, Jason Couch is welcomed back.

After having a kidney transplant on March 2, Couch returns to the court and the classroom. Minus a few setbacks, Couch has been able to settle back into normal life fairly well. However, he does have to miss out on some things due to his disease.

Since June, Couch has been determined to get back into the swing of things. After discovering that he has Polycystic Kidney disease, which is an inherited disorder in which clusters of cysts develop in the kidneys, it has been hard on him but with the help of many people, he has been able to adjust well.

Couch is a geometry teacher and the boys basketball head coach. After his surgery, he had to miss about 60 days of school and all of summer training. Now that he has returned, his players say that he looks as healthy as ever. “ Before, he (Couch) didn’t really have the energy to yell at us, now he has more energy and is definitely more alive,” said sophomore varsity player Zak Perdew.

Coming to the rescue, Couch’s cousin Kelly Moyer is the one who graciously gave up one of her kidneys for a dear family member. “She is like an angel to me, I am so blessed she made that sacrifice,” said Couch.

During his absence, coaches Robert Troutman and Scott Ridge both had to step up and take control of the team. “I have been able to lean on them a lot. Being the JV coach, coach Troutman did a great job of getting our team ready to compete during summer basketball and filling in if I have to miss practice,” said Couch.

Not only have his fellow coaches been helpful, but the school has been very accommodating as well. The principal, Chris Mason, and athletic director, Troy Barr, have been very understanding and have always told Couch to keep his recovery as his number one priority.

Couch’s co-workers in the math department have been a huge help to him, keeping up with things while he has been gone.

“My buddies in the math department have taken care of so many things for me when I have had to be out this year! I couldn’t ask for a more caring staff to work with,” said Couch.

With Polycystic Kidney Disease comes a weak immune system. The anti-rejection medicines that Couch must take make his immune system very low. Because of this, there are times when his white blood cell count drops and he has to wear a protective face mask that helps prevent him from getting sick.

The toughest part of his recovery has been having to miss out on fun times with his family, and being cautious of his fragile immune system in this first year of recovery. But he is grateful that he is now healthy and for the wonderful gift that has been given to him.