Archery Team Prepares for Upcoming Season

Carissa Kimball, Staff Writer

The archery team shoots for big improvements this year.

With a new season comes the desire to make this one better than the last.

After losing the regional title for the first time in nine seasons, the main goal this year is to reclaim it. Head coach Jason Waddle also hopes to win top five at state, top ten at nationals, and top five in worlds. The team also hopes to beat Bullitt Central, after losing to them for the first time last year.

To accomplish their goals, the team has revamped their practice routine. “We went to teaching more technique and form than we ever have,” said Waddle. “I have implemented more one-on-one instruction, and we are enlisting a former army sniper to work with us on breathing technique.”

The team not only has plenty of room to improve but strong leadership this season as well. Senior Jaque Morsey has the captain role this year and will guide the team through their accomplishments. “She is without a doubt a vocal leader and one of our best archers, co-captain junior Megan Culver will lead us in scoring as well,” said Waddle.

The underclassmen will also have a big role this season. “We have one of the most talented freshman classes we have had in my six years of coaching,” said Waddle. Freshman Josh Kelly is already a scoring leader, showing lots of potential for this team.

The first archery tournament is Jan 6, at North Bullitt. The second tournament will be at home, Jan 13.