Unusual Weather

Emmy Ralph

Tree frozen over after below freezing temperatures.

Emmy Ralph, Staff Writer

Snow, rain, ice and unusually warm temperatures all in one month.

The month of January has been full of ‘bipolar’ weather changes.

Kentucky seems to be a place where there are all sorts of weather patterns no matter the season. Strange weather causes some people to get sick, by messing up their sinuses. But, Kentucky seems as if they aren’t the only ones getting strange weather.

Lately, there have been days where the temperatures have been unusually warm for January. There are parts of Kentucky getting spring temperatures during the winter season.

Before the warmer temperatures arrived, Kentucky was one of many states that got snow and ice. Many schools were closed starting Friday, Jan.12 through Thursday, Jan.18. due to dangerous road conditions. Some students were very excited to get a “snow day”, while others wish the weather could have passed on through the area without leaving any precipitation.

Some students may be affected by these sudden weather changes. “From the weird weather lately, my sinuses have been out of control and I have been sick which caused me to miss school during this week. Now, I have to catch up on several days of class work because I missed, which is very stressful, ” said sophomore, Catie Bacon.

On the other hand, some students enjoy these weird weather patterns. “I actually like it when the weather is warm some days and then snows the next because I don’t like sticking with one season for several months, change can be nice sometimes,” said junior, Allie Rae Thompson.

The state of Kentucky is a place where one can experience all sorts of weather patterns without being in that specific season.

Kentucky is not the only place with weird weather, the weather has been unusual in many places around the world. In one of the hottest places in the world, Ain Sefra which is a desert in Algeria, received amounts of snow. This is the third time snow has fell within 40 years.

With unusual weather lately, who knows what the future will hold.