Juniors Are Putting a Ring On It For The Class of 2020

Haley Grether

Father presents daughter’s ring in the junior ring ceremony.

Haley Grether, Magazine Editor

Class of 2020 gathers together for their first step on the journey of graduation.

The junior ring ceremony was held Tuesday, March 19 in the main gym at Bullitt East.

The month of March is always busy for juniors. The ACT, ring ceremony and prom are all in the same two weeks. Although the busyness may seem too overwhelming at times, in these few weeks, students will make memories and that will follow them for the rest of their lives.

Members of the 2020 class gathered in the gym to be presented with their class ring.

This event is the first of many more ceremonies for these students leading up to graduation in May of 2020.

Last year, April Walker, former Bullitt East teacher, was in charge of setting up and getting everything ready for the event. Now that Walker is gone, agriculture teacher Megan Terry stepped in to take on the task. Before the ceremony, she had to make sure that every person‘s name on the program was spelled correctly and was ready for the event. Getting all of the students organized for the ceremony took a lot of practice as students spent school time doing a run through of the ceremony.

Leading up to the ceremony many students felt excited as they prepared to get their rings. “I am excited to get my ring because I feel like it is a big stepping stone in not only my high school career but in my life,” said junior Jason Clark.

Many juniors paid for their rings through Balfour. This company travels to high schools and sells a variety of school and graduation apparel to students. Students are able to buy many items through Balfour; some of which are class rings, cap and gowns, yearbooks and more. Ordering from here is popular among the students. Although, students weren’t required to buy their ring from Balfour in order to participate in the ring ceremony. Students had the option to bring in a different ring of their own from home.

The students all dressed in formal attire for this event. One highlight of the junior ring ceremony is when students had a person of their choice present their class ring to them. Whether the ring was presented from a parent, sibling or close friend the process proved to be a sentimental experience for many. “I choose my mom, because of all the sacrifices that she has made for me. She is the reason I am in the position that I am now to succeed in life,” said junior Aiden Robison.

Afterward, there was a reception in the cafeteria for students and their families. People were able to get refreshments, pizza and cake.