The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Support our Advertisers:

SOS: Save our Service 

SOS: Save our Service 
Photo: Creative Commons

Leave a message at the tone.

A widespread service outage harmed the communication networks for many individuals on Thursday 22nd, 2024 throughout the US. AT&T has not released any statements on the service not going through.

However, to many’s dismay, no word has come from industry giant AT&T as to why the service has been shut down today. The impact on students’ daily productivity could be more prosperous. How does this highlight the phone addiction in our schools and the abuse of an otherwise amazing communication tool?

Many this morning woke up to a lack of service on their phones. With sim trays being cleared and cleaned out over and over; nothing has seemed to fix the issue. The solution to this problem has not been named in any way by AT&T. The service provider has been silent on the issue leaving many of their customers confused. Thankfully the lack of cell service has not harmed transportation for any patrons with most phones allowing for GPS to still be functioning properly.

Many teachers have a wide-scale problem with students’ lack of productivity from being on their phones. Without phones many students have reported doing their work; Of the students we interviewed 65% reported doing work they normally would not. However, not every student has this drive. “We set up a mobile hotspot and played iMessage games,” senior Garett Rankin said. 

“It forced me to work on what I needed to,” senior Cole Huffman said. Many see this as a potential positive that could reinforce statements and propositions that support banning phones from classrooms

Just because something is referred to as an addiction does not mean that it is necessarily an addiction. For many phones are simply used to connect to friends, family and see the world. While with everything many individuals are addicted to their phones many students have just expressed the need to connect with others.

“I would probably be keeping up with my friends if I had cell service,” senior Gabe Henderson said. The growing amount of students who do not have access to communication with parents and by proxy is dwindling as service is slowly being returned but with lack of communication, many students are planning for the worst and hoping for the best.