The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Deadpool & Wolverine Invade the MCU

Design By: Hunter Adams

On July 26, 2024, the MCU will finally get their savior.

Deadpool, played by Ryan Reynolds, is returning in his upcoming third movie, finally becoming an official character in the MCU alongside Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine.

After hanging it up back in May 2018, Ryan Reynolds is finally throwing back on the iconic red and black leather suit as the “Merc with the Mouth”. Not only is this upcoming movie going to mark the return of Deadpool and cement him as an official character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but he will also be bringing Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine out of retirement to star alongside him. Hugh Jackman retired as Wolverine in 2017 during his solo movie, “Logan” where his character is many years older and heroically sacrificed himself to save the next generation of mutants. Now that both he and Reynolds are back to revive their beloved characters, many fans have begun speculating that this movie will save the MCU from the slump they’ve dug themselves into.

In 2019, the movie conclusion to the Infinity Saga, “Avengers: Endgame” was released to the public with a lot of hype and excitement. With a total watch time of three hours and two minutes, Endgame is labeled as the longest Marvel movie to date. The film is also marked as the second-highest Rotten Tomatoes-ranked movie with a rating of 94%, just below “Black Panther”, which has a 96% rating. This film had done many things to the hearts of fans as they had to say goodbye to longtime loved characters, like RDJ’s Iron Man and Chris Evans’ Captain America, but it also gave them hope for what was to come, as new and preexisting characters’ stories remain incomplete. Among the list of characters were Tom Holland’s Spider-Man, and The Guardians of the Galaxy, led by Chris Pratt’s Star-Lord. The Guardians concluded their story with their third film, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”. Spidey, on the other hand, added another movie to his collection with his third film, “No Way Home”, which brought back many iconic characters, like the first two live-action Spider-Men, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, along with their own respective villains. Both of these films were loved by the fans, and are considered part of the top films post-Endgame, but aside from them, Marvel has been lacking in content. Many believe this is caused by the fact that many long-time fan favorites are no longer alive, along with the fact that fans don’t sense any sort of connection between the recent projects as there had been during the Infinity Saga. This can be explained by the fact that the MCU is now in the Multiverse Saga of their films, but almost none of their projects deal with the multiverse aside from a small fraction. Another issue people say that Marvel has right now is they’re mass-producing projects without giving them time to properly develop. This led to the downfall of many projects due to terrible writing and CGI which many say looks worse than the original Star Wars Holiday Special. These are just some of the problems that people say will lead to the failure of the MCU, but now there’s a glimmer of hope in the form of a red and a yellow mutant.

Back in September of 2022, Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman released an announcement video to reveal the third movie in the Deadpool lineup in a very comedic way. They presented the video in two parts, with the first only showing Hugh Jackman making an appearance in the background with one line, then the second video having them both “talk” about the movie before their words are blurred out so the movie isn’t spoiled. That had been the last thing presented to fans about the movie until 2023, when set photos were posted online. The special thing about these leaked images was that they revealed Deadpool’s new suit, along with Wolverine’s first ever live-action yellow and blue comic-accurate suit. After that, fans were only given occasional snippets of content here and there of leaked set photos. That was until Super Bowl LVIII came around, when the first trailer for the movie was finally released, shooting the movie’s excitement levels out of the roof. Even though the runtime for the trailer is only 2:25, they were still able to pack many secrets and easter eggs into tiny little holes and crevices for us fans to spot and theorize about. This, along with rumors of old X-Men actors and new characters, has placed this movie at the top of everyone’s 2024 Movie of the Year list.