Bullitt County Bomb Threats

Kelsi Sego, Staff Writer

On October 15th, North Bullitt High School received a bomb threat, making it the second school in Bullitt County to receive one within 24 hours.
North Bullitt was not the first school to receive one of these threats. The schools are going to increase security to ensure the students are safe. Many students have mixed feelings about these threats.

The two schools who were threatened are Bullitt Central High School and NBHS. A nearby school, Jefferson community and technological college, was also threatened by a shooter recently. This happened on the downtown campus. However, this was proven to be a hoax later on.
A Twitter account wrote cruel tweets about the NB threats. These tweets are extremely violent and vulgar in manor. However, it was confirmed by the Bullitt County superintendent, Keith Davis, that this account was fake.
There will be police forces present at both schools on Friday, October 16th when the supposed attacks are to take place. Also there will be trained dogs sent to check the area for bombs.
The Bullitt Central threat was found on a toilet paper holder in a boys bathroom. The school notified the parents through email alerting them of what happened. According to the district spokesperson, Eric Farris, the creator of the threats will face expulsion and could possibly face terroristic threatening charges.

At North Bullitt the note was found in the back of a classroom. The note said a bomb would blow up the school on Friday, October 16th. This note was found at 11 AM on October 15th. A letter was sent home the same day that the note was found explaining what happened.

Jacob Yates, a Bullitt Central sophomore said “They [Bullitt Central] got the cops and the FBI and they had dogs sniff the school. They said they will have a high security precaution from here on out.”

Some students were phased by the threat, however, others were not. Rachel Grant who attends JCTC wasn’t phased by the threats because she was at work while the threats were made. Other students were more phased by these threats such as Yates.

“Everybody was talking about it and I was scared. I’m not coming to school tomorrow and a lot of people that I hang out with aren’t either,” said Yates.

Many people believe that the threats are nothing more than a hoax. Others think that it could be more serious.

Liz Colvin, BE Junior said, “I think that it is just some stupid person trying to get out of school. They probably aren’t being serious,”
In most cases, bombs threats do not lead to any actual bombings. Most real bombings happen without any warnings whatsoever.

One wonders, why do people make these threats? Is it because they want the attention or they don’t want to go to school or are they merely copying others? Maybe it is a combination of reasons.

More and more threats are happening each and every day. Recently, a message was left in an Eastern Kentucky University bathroom that reads “KILL ALL BY 10-8-15 THIS IS BU OOP”.  In the 2013-14 school year, over 300 schools received a violent threat, one third of them being on social media, a study by the National School Safety and Security Services found.

People do not understand that if they do make bomb threats, they could be indicted for terroristic threatening, which is a felony. Most people think that they are just being funny or that they will look “cool”. This is not always true.

If people understood the consequences of their actions, they wouldn’t be making these threats. A person who makes a threat is making others believe that there lives are in danger or actually putting their lives in danger. This is a serious offense. These people should understand there are serious consequences to their actions. Threats are a serious matter and should be handled accordingly.