Livewire

Deadly Disney Vacation

Orange County Sheriffs search for the young boy Wednesday with Magic Kingdom in the background.

Associated Press

Zach Combest, Business Editor

“Where dreams come true” turned deathly.

It’s said that Disney World in Orlando, Florida is “Where dreams come true,” but Tuesday night it changed a family’s life forever.

A two-year-old boy was playing in shallow water in the Seven Seas Lagoon at the Grand Floridian resort when, around 9 p.m, an alligator dragged the child under the water. The father and mother jumped in the water and attempted to save their son but they couldn’t save him before the alligator took the boy. A search began for the boy immediately, with boats from Disney searching along with law enforcement. According to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Executive Director, Nick Wiley, the lagoon is connected to a series of canals that feed into large bodies of water.

As of Wednesday, the search and rescue mission has turned into a recovery mission. The Orange County Sheriff’s office told reporters that there is “No question the two-year-old is dead,” after being dragged into the water several hours ago.

This tragic event could have been prevented if the parents would have been watching their son. The parents were watching a movie during the attack. Also there are “No Swimming” signs posted on the shore line of the lagoon. The lagoon is not for recreational swimming and no one else was close to the water when the attack happened.

“Everyone here at the Walt Disney Resort is devastated by this tragic accident,” said Jacquee Wahler, a vice president at Walt Disney World Resort. “Our thoughts are with the family. We are helping the family and doing everything we can to assist law enforcement.”

Alligators call Florida home and from 1948-2016 there has been 257 alligator attacks in the Sunshine State. As a result, 23 people died from those attacks and eight of those 23 people that died were children 16-years-old and younger.

If parents supervised their children closer when on vacation or at a zoo like the Cincinnati Zoo, where a three-year-old boy was dragged across a moat by a 450-pound gorilla on Saturday, May 28, kids wouldn’t get hurt or be in danger. Young children are curious and want to explore and like in these two cases both boys wanted to explore and didn’t know better. The parent of the young boy in Cincinnati should have faced legal charges because of her unawareness of her child lead to the killing of a rare gorilla that was only protecting the child and not harming him. Yes, the gorilla dragged the child around the moat, but when the zoo staff got the child out, he was not hurt. The staff was scared the gorilla was going to harm the child so they thought it would be safe to kill the gorilla. The mother of the child that fell into the exhibit did not face charges. “By all accounts, this mother did not act in any way where she presented this child to some harm,” Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph Deters said.

Back to the tragic attack at Disney World, parents and other guests at the Disney Parks should watch out for danger like alligators and look for those key signs. Officials put up signs and warnings for a reason: for the safety of their guest! People shouldn’t be scared to visit the Disney Parks. It’s a 1 in 2.4 million chance of a resident or guest being seriously injured in an alligator attack. So go out and make dreams come true but remember to be safe and watch out for those dangers.

At 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday divers recovered the body of the two-year-old Nebraska boy who was dragged away by an alligator at the Disney resort.

The boy’s body was found near where he was last seen, Sheriff Demings said, adding that it took time to search the water, which he described as murky. “The autopsy has to confirm that, but there’s likely no question in my mind that the child was drowned by the alligator,” he said, adding that the body was found intact.