Chaos and Protests at the Democratic Convention

Zach Combest, Business Editor

Delegates are demonstrating their rights.

Unhappy democratic delegates protested after Hillary Clinton won the nomination for president in Philadelphia at the Democratic National Convention.

Angered Bernie Sanders supporters staged a sit-in at one of the media’s tents. The police were called to the protest to stop more demonstrators from entering.

The Sanders supporters walked out of the convention hall Tuesday night to show their support for Sanders. Many crying and visually upset.

The group chanted “This is what democracy looks like” and some held signs supporting Sanders and opposing the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. The protest inside the media workspace then partially turned into a silent sit-in, with some protesters sitting on the ground and putting tape over their mouths.

Pictures soon flooded social media showing police with body gear on watching the protesters in case the sit-in got violent.

Just outside of the convention center, hundreds of supporters for Sanders that didn’t make it into the convention marched down the streets of philly holding signs and chanting peacefully.

Sanders had a large following by Americans and Democrats. In Kentucky, Clinton won 46.7% and Sanders won 46.3%. At the DNC, Clinton received a total of 2,807 delegates and Sanders fell short, receiving 1,894 delegates.

Events leading up to the convention has been very controversial as the DNC Chairwoman, Debbie Wasserman, announced that she would be stepping down after the convention. The announcement follows the growing controversy over the release of party emails that at times depicted staffers favoring Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders during the primary campaign.

This is one of the reasons the Sanders supporters protested after the announcement that Clinton won the party’s nomination.

Personally, as a registered democrat in the USA, I believe the Democratic Party is rigged. Once many Americans saw the news about the emails from Wasserman and the party, they were outraged and amazed how crooked and untruthful the party is. Showing their favoritism for Clinton was wrong and the way they did it was worse. Poor Sanders didn’t have a fair chance. Clinton is going to be another career politician and another Obama. Many Americans don’t trust her since the incidents with her private emails that risked Americans lives as she sent top secret government information like it was nothing. Even the FBI said it was wrong for her doing it, but she can still run for president of the United States of America? How is that right? She should be in prison right now, not on a stage talking about saving America. If anyone else sent top secret information to someone, they would be hunted down, put in prison, and the key would be thrown away for life. She lied about her emails and has received a ‘slap on the wrist’ for it. The New York Times on March 2, 2015, reported that Clinton “exclusively used a personal email account to conduct government business as secretary of state.” The emails were stored on a private server at her New York home. At the State Department’s request, Clinton turned over 30,490 work-related emails totaling roughly 55,000 pages, and deleted 31,830 emails she deemed personal. Clinton’s defense of her unusual email arrangements resulted in numerous false and misleading claims. Clinton has repeatedly denied mishandling classified information. At a March 10, 2015, press conference, she said, “I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email. There is no classified material.” But FBI Director James Comey said that the FBI found that about 2,000 of the 30,490 emails Clinton turned over to the State Department contained classified information, including 110 emails that contained classified information at the time they were sent or received.

As the 2016 election nears, it will be a ‘punch for punch dog fight’, Clinton vs. Trump. Who will win? As a first time voter like other high school students, it will be a tough decision, do we want someone who is untrustworthy or someone who hates Muslims and wants to build a wall? Only time and votes will tell.