Racing to Win

Haley Grether, Staff Writer

No one beat two runs in a week.

In the past week the Bullitt East cross country team traveled and competed in two different events.

Coming near mid-season the team has been been increasing their speed more and more each race. Starting the week with a 4k run and ending it with a 5k the team has put in a lot of work.

On Tuesday, September 20, the team competed in the Atherton Hilltop Series #2 race held at the Joe Creason Park in Louisville. The race was a 4k run instead of the usual 5k, but this didn’t hold anyone on the team back if anything it gave them a jump start. All members performed exceptionally well.

The top girl on our team to complete her 4k race was senior, Lauren Masden. Ending her run with first place out of 59 and clocking in with an ephemeral time of 16:21.  The next girl on the team to run the 4k was eighth grader Emily Tinelli, coming in 4th place with a time of 18:42. Not too far behind was sophomore, Abigail Clarkson as the 8th runner to finish the race with a time of only 20:42. Coming in right behind Abigail was Leo Cassie, eighth grader as the 9th runner to complete the race with a time of 20:46. Then was Meredith Thornsberry in 17th place ending with a time of 22:51.

The girls placed 1st overall in their division at the Atherton Hilltop Series #2. With an average time of 19:52.

Top boy on the team this week was sophomore, Josh Wetzel. Finishing his 4k run with 2nd place out of 80 and clocking in with a fleeting time of 15:04. Next on the team was Cole Davenport as the 19th runner to complete the race coming in with a time of 16:24. Then was Jerome Dela Cruz, with 22nd place and a time of 16:38. Blake Hourigan came next with a time of 17:01 and a place of 26. Then came Maliki Ly-Hughes with a time of 18:30 and a place of 43.

The boys placed 4th overall in their division at the Atherton Hilltop Series #2. With an average time of 16:44.

The second race the team competed in this past week was the Hillbilly Run held at Thomas Nelson High School in Bardstown. This race was on Saturday September 24, during the morning.

In this event the only girl to run was junior, Meredith Thornsberry ending her 5k as she clocked in with a time of 27:01. This naming her the 56th runner to finish out of 70 total.

Top boy on the team in this race was yet again sophomore, Josh Wetzel. As he completed his 5k in 19:58, and coming in with a place of 56th out of 111 runners. Then came sophomore, Cole Davenport with a time of 20:49 and a place of 76. Sophomore, Jerome Dela Cruz ended his run with a time of 21:38 and a place of 82. Next was Blake Hourigan, sophomore clocking in at 23:10 as the 92nd runner to finish. Last on the tam this week was Malikhi Ly-Hughes as he completed his run in 23:50 with a place of 102.
In this past week every member of the team performed extremely well in their races.