University of Louisville Black Lives Matter Protest

Lauryn Smith, Staff Writer

Cardinals show pride in something else.

On September 28, a Black Lives Matter protest was held at the University of Louisville. More than 200 students participated in the protest. The students wore all black clothing and laid face down and stayed silent on the SAC ramp for an hour.

A banner stating, “#ItsBlackeningHere” dropped from the top of the SAC ramp. Once the banner dropped, the students fell into the line, continuing until the Interfaith Center.

Students stood holding signs saying, “How many more?” or “I Could Be Next,” surrounding the students lying on the ramp. Other protestors had signs with names on them such as “Freddie Gray” or “Trayvon Martin.”

“Most of the comments I’ve been hearing are students being proud of their peers and proud to attend a university where the student body feels strongly enough about racial injustice to protest. Of course there are going to be people who disagree, but their always will be with any protest. The fact that our students had the courage to take a stand on such a controversial matter is what’s so important,” said Haley Steinmetz, a freshman at the University of Louisville.

The participants raised their fists in silence while standing above the SAC. After lying down on the ramp, the participants began chanting, “No justice, no peace! No racist police!”

“I feel like it’s awesome that people stand up for their beliefs and for what is right,” said Emily Miles, a freshman at the University of Louisville.

The protest not only included students, but also the faculty.  A major goal of the demonstration was to unite the campus about the issue.