Hurricane Matthew Could Blow Plans Out of the Water

Ethan Neutz, Staff Writer

Hurricane Matthew could put a damper on people’s travel plans.

Matthew will affect many people’s travel plans who have planned to travel to anywhere on the east coast from Florida to North Carolina.

Matthew was labeled as a category 3 hurricane but has now been upgraded to a category 4. It will produce damaging winds, flooding rain, and high waves. Southern states have now ordered evacuations.

The hurricane is forecasted to move at a top speed of 145 mph and slow down as it makes it way up the coast.

The hurricane is expected to make U.S. landfall early Friday morning in Miami. The hurricane has already made landfall in the Caribbean and many other places.

The hurricane is forecasted to make it’s way up the east coast all the way to North Carolina and then make a turn back into the Atlantic ocean. It will most likely stay in place until it starts to die down.

This could affect people who are expecting to go on vacations and cruises for the upcoming fall break.

Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, and Seaworld, all theme parks in Orlando, Florida are closed until Saturday.

This is only the fourth time Walt Disney World has been closed since it’s opening in 1971. The last time it was closed was for hurricane Frances in September 2004.

Zak Perdew, a freshman,  is planning on going to the St. Petersburg, Florida area for vacation. Perdew said, ¨My mom has been planning this trip for a while and I don’t think a hurricane will stop us.¨

He added, ¨The last time I was in Florida and there was a hurricane and it affected our trip greatly.¨

Even though there will be winds that exceed 100 mph, the Perdew’s plan on still going, much like many others.