Running to the Finish Line

Haley Grether, Staff Writer

Nonstop improvement and a steady run.

The season is coming close to an end, though this does not stunt the runners in the slightest bit.

In the past week the team has traveled and competed in only one event. On Tuesday, October 18, the cross country team at Bullitt East traveled to Bardstown to compete in the Mid-Kentucky Conference Championship held at Nelson County High School. The usual 5k run for the girls started at 6:00 followed by the boys who began at 6:45.

The top boy this week was sophomore, Josh Wetzel clocking in with a time of 19:37, naming him the 22nd runner to finish the race out of 63 total. The next runner to complete the race was sophomore, Cole Davenport in 36th place coming in with a time of 20:14.

Senior, Malikhi Ly-Hughes came next on the team completing his 5k run with a time of 20:42, naming him the 39th runner to finish. Then was sophomore, Blake Hourigan as he placed 41st clocking in with a time of 20:56. While recently injured junior, Matt Wheeler came in 47th place with a time of 21:41. Sophomore, Jurome Dela Cruz was the last boy on the team to end the race bringing it in with a time of 22:30 and a place of 54th.

The boys team placed 7th overall with an average time of 20:38.

As of the girls team, the first one to end the race was sophomore, Lindsey Spencer clocking in with a time of 24:16 as the 11th runner out of 45 runners to complete the 5k. Sophomore, Abigail Clarkson came next in 15th place ending her run with a time of 25:35. Then was junior, Meredith Thornsberry coming in at 28:26 placing her 29th to finish.

Both the girls and the boys performed exceptionally well in their 5k runs in this past week.