Donut King, Forever in Our Hearts

Kim Houchin, Copy Editor

In times of need, that is when a community is strongest.

A known member of the Mount Washington community, Simon Yeung, was shot twice while at work.

Any tragedy is hard to deal with. Seeing multiple sad events on the television screen is enough to make anyone sit and think, ‘Is the world really that evil?’ This question reverberates within everyone around the community this week when the news of Donut King owner, Yeung, was shot by an unknown assailant.

The community is completely shaken to it’s core by this horrible event. “It makes me think twice about going into town late at night whereas before I never really worried about it,” said junior Ashley Seigle.

For BE teacher Larry Steinmetz, this is something far too close. “We’re conditioned to think that things like this don’t really happen in our hometown,” said Steinmetz. Steinmetz was very close to the Yeung family, so close that they all know his order by heart.

There is a lot of speculation on the reasoning behind the shooting. “Hopefully this is an incident of ‘wrong place, wrong time’ because the alternate to that is a pretty scary one,” said Steinmetz. The idea behind this heinous act is unknown, leaving some to speculate that this might be a racial issue.

The Yeung family is very loved in Mount Washington area where their well-known shop, Donut King, resides. The entire community banned together last week to raise money and show their support. The journalism and yearbook classes held a bake sale during BE’s Halloween in the Halls which raised over $400. A couple of students held a booth asking for donations to the family. Together, both of them raised over $3,500 for the family.

The community of Bullitt County has all come together to help send love and prayers. “…over half of our staff doesn’t even know who the Yeung family is and that’s our job, to show the new people how we react to things like this,” said Steinmetz. The outpouring of love has really opened people’s eyes. “It’s heart-warming to see that… we still come together to fight horrible incidents like the attack on Mr. Yeung,” said Seigle.

So what can the community do to prevent these things from happening again? The answer is: not much. “When things like this happen, the person causing these things will always find a way,” said Seigle.

The thoughts and prayers of everyone around Bullitt East are with the Yeung family, tonight and forever.