From Assassins to Soakers

Zak Kessler and Alyssa Martin getting in the spirit of the game.

Haley Grether, Staff Writer

It is about that time of the year when seniors break out their water guns.

For those who were unaware, the now re-named senior soakers is a game that is played by seniors at Bullitt East annually each year around spring time.

The game, in a nutshell, is where seniors who wanted to participate in the game signed up to have their name randomly drawn out of a hat to be someone’s target. The object of the game is the player has to shoot their opponent or target with a water gun. The last man standing receives a cash prize of about $500.

Students have to get to know their opponent and integrate themselves into his or her life. As no one knows who their target is, the idea is to catch one another by surprise. This supplies a lot of tension throughout the senior class.

In past year’s, this game was called “senior assassins”, but this name brought forth some concern as many believed it promoted violence. There was much conflict over social media last year as people stated their opinion on the matter.

To avoid further trouble everyone came to an agreement to just change the name, hence the name senior soakers was born. With the name changed without any implied violence the game was able to be kept part of Bullitt East tradition.

As this week was the start of the game students go to battle. It’s going to be a wet one so keep your eyes peeled.