• Homecoming--Home Basketball Game--Friday, January 26

• 9th Grade House Coat Drive--Tuesday, January 16-Friday, January 19

• Girls Basketball LIT Tournament--Tuesday, January 23 through Friday, January 26

• Homecoming Week--Monday, January 22 through Friday, January 26

• Congrats to the cheerleading team for winning the state championship!

• Christmas Break Dec. 16- Jan. 2

• Prom-- 3/24/18

• Athletic Signing Day-- 2/7/18

• Larry Steinmetz Named State Journalism Director for JEA!

• The second issue of the Livewire is on sale now for $1!

Bringing Logic to a Sore Subject

https://goo.gl/images/bGjv7T , Rapper Logic at the Verge Campus Tour in Orlando, Florida. Logic backstage in Orlando on April 8 2014 by Nick Mahar (CC BY-CC)

Nick Mahar

Nick Mahar

Morgan Harbolt, Staff Writer

Logic is taking the stage to take a stand.

Logic closed the show at the Video Music Awards (VMA’s) on Monday the 27 where he talked about a serious topic.

Logic, Robert Bryson Hall II,  is a popular rapper from Maryland. He performed his song 1-800-273-8255 (suicide prevention hotline) at the VMA’s. Students are talking about it due to the fact that he brought suicide survivors up to the stage and felt so strongly about the topic.

As a bi-racial kid, Logic had trouble identifying with African Americans when he was younger due to white-passing. On top of that, his mother and father were drug addicts and his father was never around.

Logic’s song, 1-800-273-8255, is about being able to be strong and realizing that no one is alone when it comes to dealing with depression. “I do like Logic’s song. I think it has a message that should be heard,” said sophomore Jonah Brown. After the song, Logic gave a speech that touched a lot of people. Many people in the audience felt emotional about the topic. He went on to talk about how the media doesn’t talk about suicide prevention, depression, and mental health like they should. Logic ended his performance by thanking his fans for giving him a platform where he can raise awareness to such things.

Students at Bullitt East are among the many to be talking about Logic’s performance. During his song, Logic had suicide survivors on stage wearing t-shirts that said “1-800-273-8255” on the front and “You’re not alone.” on the back. Skylar Rowan, sophomore said, “I think maybe he was just trying to show that there are people out there who have felt the same way someone else might have felt and that you can recover and be strong.” Students find themselves being able to relate to the performance and song. “I feel like even if you haven’t felt so down to the point of wanting to die, you can still put yourself in another persons shoes who relate to that song and maybe understand kinda how it feels,” said Rowan.