Early Fall Traditions at East

Seniors Sydney Rames and Brooke Taylor visited the Field of Screams in Brandenburg, Kentucky. Picture credits: Sydney Rames.

Ainsley Gordon, Website Editor

Local fall traditions are falling into place early.

While the season of fall does not start for another week, students of East have started their fall traditions early.

Going to haunted houses around the time of Halloween is a common activity for those craving a good scare and recently many have started to open their doors at the beginning of September. More local to Mount Washington, Hubers Orchard and Winery is an organization where locals can pick apples and pumpkins, buy locally made food and spend time with friends and family. Although Halloween is about a month and a half away, students are already planning their costumes.

While it might not be an attraction for the whole family, haunted houses are very popular among those in high school. This year, many of the known houses are opening two months before Halloween is here.

Famous attractions including Field of Screams, Danger Run, the Haunted Hotel, Baxter Avenue Morgue, the Devil’s Attic and more have opened for the public and students from East have already visited. “I decided to celebrate early because it’s so much fun to me and I just get too excited to wait to celebrate… I love the thrill of being scared and seeing all the characters. I just think it’s super unique and fun,” said senior Sydney Rames.

Hubers is a family friendly business stationed in Borden, Indiana. A farm at its roots, Hubers produces various fruits, pumpkins and vegetables. Locals can visit their farm market, various restaurants, farm park and more. “My favorite part about Hubers is the food and the atmosphere. It’s very family oriented and just a fun place to spend time at. I love going out and picking pumpkins there and just looking at all the pretty fall decor,” said junior Madeline Polson.

Unlike haunted houses, Hubers is open year round, but students tend to visit more frequently during the fall season. “We started fall traditions a little early because it was my grandmother’s birthday and we all love going to Hubers,” said Polson.

Celebrated in different variations globally, Halloween has grown to be one of the most popular holidays. One of the main factors in this celebration is dressing up in costumes. Halloween won’t be here until October 31, but many at East have begun planning their costumes. “I have started planning my Halloween costume. I love getting my costume ready early because I love being able to make my costumes with my friends,” said junior Regan Hare.

Fall is rapidly approaching and people are constantly building their bucket lists for the season, so many have tried to get a head start. But, now that fall is right around the corner, many more seasonal activities and opportunities will come.