Next Stop: College

Nick Jackson, Staff Writer

Three Chargers sign their way to a bright future.

Seniors Hunter Purdue, Josh Messer, and Daniel Mantell are committed to colleges to continue their academic and football careers.

After a successful high school football career, Hunter Purdue has signed to play football at Georgetown University. As Purdue signed his letter of intent he was surrounded by friends and family.

Josh Messer signed to play football at Millikin University. Millikin is located in Illinois. Messer is the only player signed to an out of state college.

Daniel Mantell decided to attend Lindsey Wilson. Mantell went through a long process to decide where he went to school. He made sure he looked at every factor that goes into picking a school, “When I was trying to find a school I focused on where I would excel the best academically. I also wanted to feel as close to home as possible and Columbia is as close to Mount Washington as you can get,” said Mantell. Although staying close to home, Mantell wanted to visit almost every school that he was interested in, “There were a lot of schools I considered when trying to decide on where to go. I definitely focused on schools in smaller towns and that helped narrow things down quite a bit. University of the Cumberlands was a major consideration and i even visited North Dakota State University. It was clear that after visiting North Dakota that it was out of the option to me and I wanted to stay close to home,” said Mantell.

Mantell also had some advice for student athletes that are trying to decide where to go, “My personal advice for any athlete planning to play collegiate sports would be to not just focus on which team, of the ones interested in you playing for them, is the best. Make sure to take in as many factors as you can when you think about where to go. Never choose a certain school for one reason and always remember that getting a great education is what really matters,” said Mantell.

All three students will be attending their said colleges next year.