A New Way of Shopping

Gracie Smith’s shopping account

One girl’s old is another girl’s new.

Students have been creating accounts on Instagram to resell old clothes that they don’t wear anymore.

These closet accounts have provided a new and unique way to make an extra dollar. With a student base, it makes it easy to meet up and make exchanges. This new shopping community creates friendships between girls looking to make money and find new styles.

Junior Gracie Smith started the trend when she created her account last year. Since then, she has hosted garage sales as well, bringing in some extra spending money for herself. Her account started while cleaning out her closet. “I had so many clothes that I just didn’t wear anymore and I was planning on taking them to Goodwill. Then I noticed that so many of the items still had tags on them because I’d never worn most of them,” said Smith. She then decided that she would just resell them.

For high school students, it is sometimes hard to make money. “I started mine to save money and save it up for spring break. It’s convenient because any time I need extra money I can always find old clothes that I can sell,” said sophomore Kamryn Lane. Items typically go for a lot cheaper than the original price, which is a pretty good deal when most of the items are close to new.

Smith, along with dozens of other students decided that the most effective way to sell these items was through social media. “I figured an Instagram account would be the easiest because all of my followers could easily see it,” said Smith.

Sophomore Isabelle Wilson’s account has been successful. “My account has gone pretty well, I’ve made close to one hundred dollars on clothes that I forgot I had,” said Wilson. The items sold are all in pretty good condition, mostly being sold because of style changes or simply just growing out of them.

Exchanging each other’s clothes for good deals has brought the girl community closer by introducing new people and styles where they may not have otherwise been discovered.