The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Support our Advertisers:

Masonic Misconception

Isaiah Wright
Members of the Freemason Lodge in Shepherdsville, Kentucky and their local Demolay organization lined up for a photoshoot.

“To be one, ask one.”

To the public, the freemasons run the world as some secret organization whose sole priority is world domination; while in reality, that couldn’t be further from the truth with their customs, goals and overall motivations.

The idea of a freemason is misconstrued in the sense that they’re normal people. There are secretive elements to masonry, however, this isn’t explicitly the main factor in being a mason. Masons come from all creeds, religions, areas and even ages.

The option to join the freemasons is open to any who can “get past the west gate,” those who do pass, try their best to impact and be involved in their community in every way possible.

Despite Hollywood’s perception of the freemasons, their secrecy is a minor element within the masonic order. “It is a brotherhood,” Former Master of the Freemason Lodge in Shepherdsville, Kentucky; Kenny Reno said. Every mason is expected to help each other if called upon.

“Symbols, signs and tokens are there so that we may know each other in light and in dark,” Reno said.

“That person will stand toe to toe with me against any foe I may face,” Reno said. The freemasons are a collection of brothers; and in many ways, textbook examples of a fraternity and show why they are the oldest one.

Masonry is seen as a badge of honor. To be a mason is to be a virtuous, kind and supportive member of your community. The freemasons have the door to their meeting room along the western wall for symbolism. In order to join the masons, you have to go to their lodge and ask to join; they will do a background check. “We Guard our west gate,” Reno said.

Because the freemasons are spread out across the world, there are religious differences that come in every area. At the center of the room, there’s an altar that holds a bible. “Whatever someone prays to we allow to be put on our altar the same way I would hope someone would allow me to,” Reno said.

The Freemasons describe themselves as supportive of their communities no matter what, their actions reflect this notion. With many of the masons riding motorcycles, the masons do ‘Ride outs’ for children who have been diagnosed with cancer.

“The Shriners’ are the best example,” a freemason under the lodge in Shepardsville, Evan P’pool said. “Every Shriner is a mason.” The Shriners are devoted to medical care and assistance; they are the most well-known and are actively used to help the community’s medical issues. Community service is tied into their role because masons are obligated to serve their community to the best of their ability.

“I love doing that for my community,” P’pool said. P’pool has contributed to waking up at all hours of the night to make breakfast for charities and helping families have a Christmas whereas otherwise, they would go without. Making sure their communities are doing good is the main goal that the masons strive to achieve.

View Comments (1)