Inside the Pages of Rupi Kaur

Here are Kaurs popular collections of poetry.

Here are Kaur’s popular collections of poetry.

Morgan Harbolt, Staff Writer

Milk, Sun, Honey and Flowers.

Rupi Kaur is a canadian poetry writer and illustrator from India who has published two collections of poems, “Milk and Honey” and “The Sun and Her Flowers.”

Kaur hit the New York Times Bestseller list with her “Milk and Honey” book in 2014. In October she came out with a new poetry book called The Sun and Her Flowers. Her books mainly attract young girls and the Bullitt East population has fallen into the trend.

In her book “Milk and Honey,” there are four different chapters. All of them sharing her stories from a child to an adult and the abuse she has dealt with. Despite being abused, Kaur finds a light in the dark. That is exactly her purpose: that although you’re dealing with something dark in your life, there is always the option to rise above it all.

In her new book, “The Sun and Her Flowers”, Kaur goes through five chapters. Going in order by chapter, she personifies “wilting, falling, rooting, rising and blooming.” Kaur created a totally new set of poems that explain more in depth how you must fall before you can rise and bloom.

Kaur is an inspiration to teenage girls and women all around the world. “They were good to read just cause it’s different outlooks on life,” said sophomore Madison Jenkins. Kaur helps women to find a way to feel comfortable in their own bodies. She talks a lot about feeling beautiful in your own skin by explaining the struggles she went through to love herself.

Sophomore Halle Key said, “I can really relate to some of the poems; they inspire me and it’s a beautiful book. They make me cry a lot and sometimes that’s good to let my feelings out.”

Kaur is a big influencer to highschool girls. She has opened up her life to them and has shown them that they’re beautiful.