The student news site of Bullitt East High School.

Livewire

Livewire

Livewire

Olivia Rodrigo spills controversy after handing out Julie at her concert

Photo Via: iHeartRadio

It’s brutal out here. 

With a rise in restriction of reproductive rights, pop star Olivia Rodrigo took the initiative of handing out free contraceptives and morning-after pills during her concert.

Rodrigo’s partnership with the National Network of Abortion funds gave fans access to emergency contraceptive pills at her show in St Louis, MO. The state has continued to obstruct efforts to support reproductive rights. Controversy has spread debating the morality of abortion and the message sent to fans. 

After Rodrigo’s tour began in February, she announced that she would be launching an initiative for reproductive health, Fund 4 Good, which would share proceeds from her tour with the National Network of Abortion Funds. Rodrigo worked with the Missouri Abortion fund at her St Louis show on March 12 to hand out Julie, an emergency contraceptive pill that can prevent unwanted pregnancy within 72 hours of unprotected sex, and abortion access information and resources. Throughout her world tour for her new album “GUTS,” she has provided support to local abortion groups, but this show particularly sparked conversation because of the near total abortion ban Missouri has taken on since 2022. In an interview with “Rolling Stone” a representative for Julie said, “We launched Julie to rewrite the morning-after experience for a new generation. Replacing the stigma and shame often associated with emergency contraception with access, exploration, and education is core to who we are, and we’re thankful for artists like Olivia Rodrigo and initiatives like the Missouri Abortion Fund who share our mission.” Fans report being shocked that they didn’t have to pay, as the expense and inaccessibility of the pill is another factor that often leads to unwanted pregnancy. 

Reproductive rights have been under attack in the US since the turning of Roe V. Wade on June 24, 2022. Republican lawmakers have recently blocked the attempt to add rape and incest exemptions to the state’s ban. Pro-life groups in Missouri have advocated for murder charges for those who get abortions and outlaw the morning-after pill. Lots of controversy is also sparked by by moral panic surrounding the abortion pill, which is different than emergency contraceptive. Abortion pills end a pregnancy, while emergency contraceptive prevents a pregnancy from happening. 

However, despite Rodrigo’s attempts to counteract these restrictions, abortion funds at her concerts can no longer distribute contraceptives. The NNAF stated that Rodrigo’s team is against the distribution because “children are present at the shows.” This then poses the question; are safe sex tools promoting sexual health or promiscuity? Many young girls listen to “GUTS,” go to her shows and memorize her lyrics. Many parents see this as a negative message being sent to the youth. Nevertheless, the youth needs access to contraception and sexual health resources, now more than ever. A statistic by the American Civil Liberties Union states that around 350,000 US citizens under 18 become pregnant each year, and 82% of those pregnancies were unintended. While she is restricted from handing out contraception at her shows, the Prarie Abortion Fund states that they will still be distributing informational materials to fans who need it. 

Rodrigo may be restricted in her ability to distribute contraceptive tools and support abortion funds, but these organizations are not going anywhere, and many continue to fight for reproductive rights.