Athletes Signing

Zach Combest, Copy Editor

Signing the official papers

This week in Charger Nation, three athletes signed to play a collegiate sport.

Shelby Maros, Garrett Wilson, and Sierra Poppell officially committed to play a college sport.

Maros signed to play softball with the University of Southern Indiana, Monday, November 16, 2015.  

Maros plays centerfield for Bullitt East. She has played for 12 years. “I picked USI because the very first time I walked on their campus, something made me feel like I belonged and that’s where I was meant to be,” said Maros.

Southern Indiana, Lindsey Wilson, Georgetown, University of the Cumberlands, Saint Catherine, Campbellsville, Kentucky Christian and Lindenwood Belleville were interested in Maros.

Maros’s family attended the signing along with her teammates and coaches.

Wilson signed with the University of Southern Indiana to play baseball. Wilson plays basketball and baseball at East. “They’re [USI] an elite program and Jacob Bowles goes there,” said Wilson.

“I had offers from Murray State, Western Kentucky, and a couple others,” said Wilson.

Poppell signed with Morehead State to run cross country on Tuesday. Poppell has ran cross country since seventh grade.

“I picked Morehead State because out of all of the schools that I looked at, it was the best fit, I felt at home there, the girls on the team were awesome and the coach is great. The class size was perfect and the size of the campus was the size I felt like was best for me,” said Poppell.

Poppell had three schools that she was interested in. “The schools that I was really interested in were Murray [State], Morehead, and Lindsey Wilson College,” said Poppell. All of the colleges offered her scholarships.

“In the end it came down to Lindsey Wilson College and Morehead and it was a matter of where I felt more at home and it was without a doubt, Morehead State,” said Poppell.