Softball team off to a record breaking start

Zach Combest, Copy Editor

The softball team is off and running to a school record-breaking start to the 2016 season as they push to make it to the state tournament.

The Bullitt East Lady Chargers softball team is breaking records this year. The Lady Chargers have broken the school record for the best start to a season in softball. The record was last set in 2013, when the softball team went 7-0. This year they are currently undefeated with a record of 10-0, after a four to three victory over Highlands High School Tuesday night.

With the strong pitching by Taylor Roby, University of Louisville commit, and the RBI [runs batted in] producing batters, the Lady Chargers are showing that they are one of the best teams in the state. They are currently ranked in the top 10 in Kentucky. Even on the road the Lady Chargers have shown that they can get wins with seven victories away from their home field so far this season.

One of the biggest factors helping the team is their strong chemistry. “The team this year is really close. This year we act like sisters and we have each others backs. The best part about the team is our chemistry,” said junior outfielder, Jordan Goers.

Head Coach, Ricky Hoffman, has led the team to the great start this season. “[We have prepared] with hard work and determination. They worked hard in the gym during workouts and were really focused during pre-season practices. This is the closest to a ‘team family’ that I have ever had with these girls and it is showing up on the field,” said Hoffman.

There is one goal in the eyes of the Lady Chargers this year: state. “Our mindset [at the beginning of the season] was to get to state,” said sophomore Taylor Roby. Sixteen teams make it to state and each team must win their region to make it. Bullitt East’s biggest competitors in the sixth region are Butler and Mercy. The Lady Chargers will take on Mercy, away from BE softball field, April 28.

Expectations were high this year because of the high pre-season rankings. They were ranked first in the pre-season standings for the sixth region. “My expectations were to get better at every practice and every game. We have done that. We have played some pretty good teams and have performed well and are improving from our mistakes,” said Hoffman.

“Key factors [to our great start] are that we are hitting better as a team, which I thought we would, which is putting pressure on teams,” said Roby. Roby is leading the team with the most home runs. She has hit seven home runs so far this season. With the powerful bats, the Lady Chargers are battling for more wins.

The players are focused and ready for the rest of the season and are looking for support from Charger Nation as they continue! “We are one big family and want to put a winning product on the field for the students, the school, the administration, and our fans. These girls play for each other, practice for each other, and support each other; which transforms to the girls doing whatever it takes to perform for their teammates,” said Hoffman.

The Lady Chargers’ next home game will be April 14, versus Sacred Heart.